Thursday, May 29, 2008

God Bless Band-Aids

I never fully appreciated the power of Band-Aids until I had kids. I was never really big on them as a kid – mainly because they hurt when you take them off! But I also didn’t get too many scrapes & cuts, so it usually wasn’t a big deal. However, I knew that with boys come lots of boo boos. Anytime we see the smallest scrape or scratch on Zachary, we’ll ask him what happened. Usually we get some sort of nonsensical answer (“Someone bit me!” or “I hurt it in the tub!” or my favorite “You did it!”). However, simply pointing it out causes the need for a Band-Aid. A couple of nights ago after Zachary’s bath, I saw 2 little scratches on Zachary’s feet – one on each foot. They were in a weird spot too – right on the front of his feet, sort of where the tops of his feet meet his ankles. I have no idea how you get a scratch there, but he had a matching one on each foot. I asked him what happened, and he said “I fell down” – doesn’t make sense, because you couldn’t even see these scratches when his shoes were on. He then went into sympathetic mode, where he started whining “I need a Baaaaaaand-Aiiiiiiiid….” So I gave him a Band-Aid for each foot and suddenly, as if by magic, everything was fine! Well last night, Josh was getting him ready for bed, and he starts whining about needing more Band-Aids for his feet. Josh tried to tell him that they were OK now and didn’t require Band-Aids anymore. Wrong answer! So I suggested putting Band-Aids on for one more night, and wouldn’t you know it – that was the cure. Band-Aids are amazing. They can make both real and fake boo boos feel better.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I think bandaids make everything better, even when you're 32!

Merri said...

Oh we love band-aids in our house too! Sophie loved them especially at Zachary's age! She loves them with different characters on them and would usually want to wear them even if she didn't have a boo boo or if it were a bruise :-) Sometimes we went through a whole box in a sitting...putting them all over! I know it will happen with Luke too!

Drena said...

I say give him all the bandaids he could possibly want if that makes him happy. Someday only much more expensive things will do the trick!