Thursday, December 16, 2010

Liam's Class "Party"

One thing I've learned about Liam's new school is that they don't make a big deal out of holidays or birthdays.  They don't allow cupcakes or anything for birthdays (I don't even think they sing Happy Birthday) but they do allow the birthday child to being in some special pictures so they can all talk about how we grow.  And class parties definitely just don't happen.  At one of the last Parent Nights, Josh asked Liam's teacher if they were going to have any special activities where the parents could come.  The idea seemed new to her, but she kind of liked it, so she worked with the Room Mom to plan something.  I think they had intended on doing something in the fall, but it just never happened.  They finally had it planned for yesterday.  It wasn't called a "party", but we'll call it that because it's easier than calling it "an event where the parents can come and we will make a seasonal craft".  They had a couple of crafts planned.  The first was a snowman.  I wish I had taken a picture of the sample, but the idea was to take their previously painted paper plates, and glue 3 white felt circles on it (stacked up like a snowman), then glue cotton balls around the bottom like snow, then take the brown cutout of their hand & arm & glue is next to the snowman like a tree.  Then there were all kinds of tiny pieces - a hat, scarf, eyes, nose, buttons, small triangles of aluminum foil for icicles, and real leaves & pine straw from outside that they could also glue on.  You get the idea.  Here is Liam hard at work on his snowman.



And then here's the finished product.  I think his face says it all (I mean, it looks like his snowman got hit by a car & thrown into that tree!)

At first I was a little bummed at how "abstract" his looked compared to the other kids, but then I realized that the other parents were providing a lot of help to their kids - some even doing it for them (more or less).  We didn't help at all.  Not because we're mean or lazy but because this school is all about learning to do things for yourself (and they don't really do that much structured art - it's more of just making whatever you want to make), and so we wanted to let him make his snowman however he wanted.  And for that, I love his crazy smushed snowman.

After the snowman, there was another craft - stringing foam shapes (snowflakes & penguins) onto a ribbon, & tying a jingle bell to each end.  I did help him with the stringing.  I apologize for the blur in this one - he would not stop shaking those bells once he finished! (and singing Jingle Bells over & over too!)


When everyone was done being crafty, they had a snack (cantaloupe and some banana bread that the class had made the day before).  Then we sat on the carpet & sang a few songs, and the teacher shared a photo slideshow that she had made to show all of the kids and how they interact & play together during the day.  It was so cute!  And then when it was time to go, Liam really couldn't have cared that we were leaving (I was afraid he'd get upset).  Instead, he distracted himself with another piece of banana bread (his 3rd for the day!) and gave hugs to a little girl who was crying (Liam was pretty much the only one NOT crying at this point).





And because I didn't share any pictures in my last post from the karate graduation, here are a couple.

Zachary & his karate teacher, Mr. JP



And then here's one from his class tonight - his first class with his new green belt (doesn't he look like Christmas??)  He's very excited because as you may or may not know, green is his favorite color!

No comments: