Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Reunited with Dave

Last night I was reunited with my long lost love, Dave. It had been 3 years since I’d seen him (right after Zachary was born)! I wish it was as personal as it sounds, but sadly, Dave Matthews has never had the pleasure of meeting me for real. We were really excited about the concert since we didn’t get to go for the last 2 years. Before that, it had been an annual thing since my first DMB concert WAY back in 1998 (wow, I feel old now…actually, I felt old last night when the concert hadn’t even started yet and I was yawning already). Since then I think I’ve seen him a dozen or so times in concert. He is my favorite – I just LOVE his voice….when he’s singing, that is. When he talks, half the time I can barely make out his mumbling. Anyway, back to the point. It had been a long time since we had been to Lakewood. We actually ran into 3 people we know! We saw Kimberly’s husband Ramsay, as well as our friends Tom & Carey (who is due to have a baby probably any second now – brave woman…). The concert started off pretty good, and then just took a nosedive for about 45 minutes to an hour in the middle – he played 15 minute jams of all my least favorite songs. I was sitting on the ground, bored to death, wishing I was at home watching the season finale of the Bachelorette so I could find out who Deanna was going to pick (which, if any of you watch it – DON’T TELL ME! I haven’t watched it yet – plan to do that when I get home today). But thankfully the last hour or so was strong. Josh was very excited when they played a cover of Pink Floyd’s Money (most of you may not know he is a HUGE Pink Floyd fan). And he ended with many of his old favorites. The weirdest part of the night though came when Dave was talking about some 9-year-old little boy (he may have been 12, I forget) who has some disease and has had lots of operations (I was paying attention, but like I said before, the mumbling…). Anyway, this little boy had apparently asked Dave if he would play a particular song for him and Dave said absolutely, and dedicated the next song to the boy. The song he played? Crash. I thought that was so bizarre to play that song for a 9-year-old boy. Anybody with me on that???

We did call home before Zachary went to bed. He said “Mommy and Daddy – please make sure you come home”. Poor guy – I think he thought we were going to Mexico again. When I dropped the guys off this morning, I had to take Zachary into a different classroom, because the teacher he normally goes with in the morning wasn’t there yet. This other class had a poster up on the wall that looked like they had made it the week that Italy was the theme. It looked like the Italian flag, and had several words written on it: “Spaghetti”, “Lasagna”, “Pizza”, and, my favorite, “G’Day”. ????? Now, I have been to Italy, and I didn’t hear anybody there say “G’Day”. Funny that they somehow confused Italy with Australia – they’re not even on the same continent.

4 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

Your posts crack me up! Glad you had fun at the concert. I love Dave Matthews but get so bored with the jams. I think you a brave woman to go out to a concert on a work night :) (I'm so old.)

Drena said...

Sounds like fun. We saw him in Piedmont earlier this year. Very hot, but fun. He didn't play my favorite so I was bummed.

Meredith said...

You are brave to go on a worknight... but I know he's your fave! I don't venture to many concerts anymore... I guess I'm too old for them :) hee hee
Glad you had fun...

and it is a bizarre song to play for a little boy... maybe that's the one he wanted though.

Mel said...

G'day....hmmm, I barely heard that in Australia...let along Italy...good to see the kiddos learning :-)