Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Saga of the Doors

We finally got our new carpet installed a couple of weeks ago – it was very exciting, because we finished WAY ahead of the schedule we had set for ourselves. The new carpet is FABULOUS! It really made us realize just how crappy our old carpet was. There is just one tiny problem with the new carpet. It is SO thick & fluffy, that now, none of the bedroom doors will shut! Actually, most of them can be shut, it’s just very difficult, and makes a lot of noise as it rubs across the carpet. However, Liam’s door cannot be shut all the way – at all. Even if I throw myself at it, it cannot be shut. So a supervisor from the carpet installation company said that they could trim the bottoms for us, but we would have to arrange it through Lowe’s (which was where we had gotten the carpet from). Originally we had thought we could just sand them down ourselves, but we need to have so much trimmed off that they said we'd be sanding for days. So after a week & a half of open doors upstairs, we finally had it arranged for them to come out on Tuesday to trim our doors. For whatever reason they started with our closet door – ran it through their saw and it was all trimmed up. Beautiful! The next door they decided to tackle was one of our bedroom doors. We have what I guess you would call French doors leading into our bedroom. One of the doors has a lock at the top, and we leave that one shut most of the time, and use the other door to get in & out of our room. So they went for the one we leave closed most of the time. They got it trimmed, but not without taking a chunk out of the bottom first. They were able to put the chunk back & repair it, but not before throwing their hands in the air and declaring it an impossible job (after finishing the 2 doors that we probably open & close the least, and would have been my lowest priorities in terms of which doors were most important). You see, it turns out that the doors we have inside our house are not solid wood, as I guess these people thought they were. They are filled with this compressed paper type stuff, so the outside of the door is made of some weird wood-like substance that really jacked up their saw and made them afraid to continue (way to go DR Horton - cutting corners AGAIN!). So Josh got Lowe’s on the phone to find out what we are supposed to do. They began talking to their door installation contractors, who determined that they could help us (now why they didn’t send us to the door guys in the first place, I have no idea). So the door guy is coming out tomorrow to hopefully fix our remaining 7 doors. I think I’m going to have Josh make sure they start with Liam’s room – his is the worst one. After tomorrow I will either have a very happy update or a very frustrated one. To be continued…

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I chuckled at the thought of you throwing yourself at your little boy's door each night after putting him to bed...I hope you get them fixed!

m said...

Good luck. That sounds like such a pain.