Last night we went to the elementary school that Zachary will attend next year (Crabapple Crossing Elementary School) for Kindergarten Sneak-A-Peek. He was SO excited! As soon as we arrived we saw that his friend Cameron was a little ahead of us in line. That made him MORE excited. There were two teachers at a table making nametags for the kids, and then they had a supply of 4th & 5th graders ready to be tour guides. We went with Casey, a cute 5th grader. She was not super bubbly & talkative, but I imagine that scenario could be a little bit intimidating for those kids. Casey took us all over the school. We got to see one of the classrooms, the art room, the media center, computer lab, cafeteria (where they had cookies & juice boxes!), inside a school bus, the gym, and the kindergarten playground. Once the tour was over, we took some extra time to go visit all of the kindergarten rooms. All of the teachers & parapros were there, so we got to meet just about all of them, which was nice. During the tour we ran into another boy who is in Zachary’s class right now, our next door neighbor, and one of the boys from his t-ball team. It was so fun to see so many familiar faces! When I started elementary school, I don’t remember already knowing people. So this will be nice for Zachary that he already has some built-in friends even before school starts. And I know there’s at least a couple more people he knows who will go there that we just didn’t see last night. They may or may not be in his class, but I’m sure they’ll run into each other at some point.
We also got to meet the principal, Mr. Freiberger. Dude. Is. HUGE! I think I overheard him tell Josh that he played football at Villanova – that explains it (and, leave it to 2 guys who have never met to somehow end up talking about football!) Anyway, he made Josh look kind of small. And not many people make Josh look small (not that Josh is SO big, but he just doesn’t look “small” compared to many people). It was funny seeing this big big man bending so far over to meet all the little munchkins.
It was nice to get to see this school – Josh & I had never been inside it either, so it was just as much a tour for us as it was for Zachary. We are really excited. It looks like a fun place. And there is artwork up all over the walls in the hallways. We commented to one of the teachers that the art teacher (or, teachers, because evidently there are two of them) must be REALLY good, because all of the art on the walls was excellent. I didn’t see one picture that I thought looked sloppy or messy. It was all just really good. It was all the kind of stuff that you would definitely want to save, and maybe even hang up. Of course Zachary said his favorite part was the playground…
Last night was full of excitement for all of us, but I’m sure I will get more emotional about it as the first day gets closer. This is why I had already decided that I will be taking the first day of school off work. I think my mom & I are going to go shopping at the outlets. That will be a fun diversion for me, to keep me from worrying about my baby getting lost in that big school or trampled by 5th graders!
September Quotes
2 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment