Sunday, April 17, 2011

G-Day and Tour of Athens

Zachary was supposed to have a baseball game yesterday morning.  But with all the rain from the storms on Friday night, the game was cancelled.  Josh suggested that we head to Athens for G-Day.  Believe it or not, I had never been to G-Day.  As members of the Redcoat Band, Josh & I had been required to attend G-Day every year, but somehow I always managed to get out of it (I assume it must have been DG stuff that got me out of it...).  With no baseball, or any other plans for the day for that matter, we decided to go.  It was a picture perfect day - the weather was absolutely gorgeous!  We found some seats on the 35-yard line and watched the game.  I think the boys were confused about who to cheer for since both teams were Georgia.  And it wouldn't be a Georgia game without Dippin' Dots.  Zachary & Liam are lucky they had them - all the concessions weren't open, and they talked non-stop about the Dots on the way to Athens.  I was afraid they wouldn't have them.






We made it to the end of the 3rd quarter, and then started making our way over to the Butts-Mehre building.  They recently expanded it, and had it open for the public to tour yesterday.  Wow, was it incredible!  They had all these life size photographs on the walls of famous Bulldogs from recent history, as well as walls with tributes to Bulldogs in the NFL, Bulldogs drafted in the 1st or 2nd rounds, All-Americans, and so on.  Then we got to see the weight room.  Holy cow, they have everything in there!  We also got to go in the "multipurpose room".  In one direction, it's as long as a football field is wide, but it's only about 20 yards wide.  It's got artificial turf on the ground, so they could do some practicing in there, but they couldn't conduct an entire practice, since the field is only 20 yards across rather than 100.








After we finished the tour, we drove downtown & walked around a little bit.  We stopped by the Arch, and thn walked around North Campus a little bit.  We saw some groomsmen who were waiting for a wedding that was about to take place at Herty Field.  We also stopped & rang the Chapel Bell.  So fun!




After an early dinner at The Grill, we came back home.  The boys had a great time & asked when we could come back.  It really was hard to believe that all the times we've brought them to Athens, all they've ever really seen is the parking deck and the stadium.  We had never taken them to see other parts of campus.  I'm so glad they had a fun time, because I can see more day trips to Athens in our future.  What a great place!

No comments: