Thursday, September 15, 2011

Miscellaneous

Well I definitely did not intend to take such a long break.  But we've been pretty busy the last little bit.  Last Saturday we went to the UGA-USC game.  Blech.  The boys made it a record length of time into the game - we left with 3 minutes left in the game (and the only reason we left then was because USC went up by 10 and we figured there was no way the Dawgs could make a comeback).  So we headed back to try to beat some of the traffic.  They had their moments, but overall, I think they had fun.  We watched the Dawg Walk (although Liam was NOT a fan of the loud music), went to the bookstore, they had Dippin Dots, we had pizza...good times.  We also took our traditional family photo in front of the hedges.  I think we might try to get a re-do at some point later in the season, but this isn't bad for our first attempt of the year!


On Sunday I took Liam to a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese.  Note to self - don't EVER go to Chuck E. Cheese at noon on a Sunday.  It was a ZOO!  I really am not a fan of that place to begin with, but I thought it would be good to go since Liam hasn't really been invited to too many parties yet that are just for him (most parties he's been to have been friends of ours, and Zachary is invited too).  He had fun.  It was just kind of nutty in there.


We've been plugging away at the week.  Zachary is slowly getting used to his new routine, and he is enjoying his Lego TechnoScience after school class on Wednesdays.  We had a Parent Night at Liam's school tonight.  The topic was Language (meaning, things like reading, writing, vocabulary, etc.).  It was a little exciting because his teacher said that if she gets a child in her class at age 3, she expects them to be reading by 4 or 4 & 1/2.  Liam went in there just before he turned 3, so it's exciting to think that he will be reading by this time next year!

Now we're gearing up for another fun, but busy weekend.  Just a couple of funny stories to end on...

We aim to have the boys in bed by 7:45 each night (simply because they have to wake up so early during the week).  A couple of nights ago we heard what sounded like someone using the bathroom around 8:30 - only it was LOUD.  After the flush, we figured things would quiet down, but we continued hearing lots of banging.  We figured it was coming from Liam's room, but I went to check anyway.  I peeked in Liam's room - light was off & I could hear him sleeping.  However, the light in Zachary's room was on.  I opened the door and saw Zachary sitting on the floor playing with his Legos.  I asked him what he was doing, and he jumped about 4 feet off the ground.  Busted!  So the next night we explained that we expected him to stay in bed with the light off, and I asked him if he's ever done that before.  He replied, "Yep!  I've done that before!  I usually do it...ohhhh....about once a week."  Way to throw yourself under the bus there.

One night Zachary was having a meltdown about something.  He would not. stop. crying.  It was getting a bit tiresome, and we were trying to get him to go up to his room to calm down when Liam proclaimed, "Zachary, you are acting like a baby!"  Said the 3-year-old to the 6-year-old.

Each of the boys has a tree in the back yard that we planted when they were babies.  We discovered back in the spring that Liam's tree was dead.  It just never bloomed at all.  We had decided back then to get a new tree (but discovered that October is apparently the time to plant a tree).  So meanwhile, his sad, bare tree remained planted in the back yard.  Until today.  We went outside to discover the tree had just fallen over (it was a very small tree - no damage to anything).  The boys picked it up & started running around with it like a spear.  We got home from the parent night, and Josh took Herschel outside to go potty, when we saw what they had done - the tree had been placed into the hole in the center of the outside table, where the umbrella would normally go.  I'll have to get a picture - it's pretty funny.

1 comment:

FreeBird Farm said...

"The boys picked it up & started running around with it like a spear." Love. It. Now, you have to get a pic of that tree as a table umbrella. Priceless. I love boys. :)