Tuesday, February 28, 2012

4-Year-Old Check-Up, and other things

It's been almost a week but I never posted about Liam's 4-year checkup.  Since Liam is the 2nd child in the family, I knew exactly what I was in for with this checkup.  It's not a fun one.  I remember when Zachary turned 4 and we went for his 4-year checkup, and that was the day I learned that his pediatrician's office has a treasure box - they apparently save it for the 4-year-olds because it's such a rough visit.

Anyway, Liam was less than cooperative last week when we went.  He didn't want to pee in the cup, he didn't want to cooperate for the vision test, didn't want to cooperate for the hearing test...it was no fun.  I had decided that if he was good, that we would stop for a treat on the way home.  I hadn't told him this though, because I wanted it to be a surprise.  But I decided I needed to go ahead & tell him, in hopes that it would get him to cooperate.  I told him that we could get a treat afterwards if he was good.  He said, "I like treats..."  Of course you do...and with that, he decided to cooperate.  He came in at 41.25" and 39 lbs - both 75% (and 1.25" taller than Zachary was at 4!)  Everything else was perfect!  With one exception...he didn't pass the hearing test.  I'm hoping that's just because he had an ear infection in his left ear & fluid in his right ear.  He had just been there 2 days earlier for a sick visit & we found out then that he had it.  So they are going to re-do the hearing test when we go back for his ear re-check next week.  I assume they will only re-do the test if the infection is gone, which is a big if - he has only had 2 ear infections, but one lasted for over a month, and one lasted for about 6 weeks.  So we'll see what happens.

Because he did finally cooperate, and because he was so brave during his 4 shots and finger prick, we did stop for ice cream on the way home.  He got his favorite - Superman ice cream.



Here are a couple other things that have nothing to do with Liam's 4-year-old checkup - they are just funny things I wanted to share.

One day last week I picked Zachary up from school, and he greeted me with this:



Today, Liam & I were leaving Trader Joe's on our way next door to Zachary's karate class, and he says, "A-a-a-a-alcohol! I like that song. It's so funny!"  Perhaps it's time to be a little more careful about our musical selections when the kids are listening...

No comments: