So yesterday at school, I’m not sure what prompted it, but before lunch, Liam’s teacher’s assistant, Mrs. Shamblin, took it upon herself to pull the tooth out. God bless kindergarten teachers. Loose teeth gross me out, so I hadn’t even been able to look and see just how wiggly it had gotten. So Mrs. Shamblin pulled it out and then sent him to lunch. They put his tooth in a tiny plastic treasure box, then taped it shut, and put it in a baggie to bring home. He was SO excited to show me later on!
Losing the first tooth is a big deal! Zachary got $5 when he lost his first tooth (and I had also been carrying around a $5 bill all week just in case too – I wasn’t about to find myself in our hotel room at 11pm with nothing but a $20). Except…we didn’t get to give it to him. After dinner, the boys wanted to play outside. Because it was kind of late (and also getting cold), Josh told them they could have 5 minutes. When it was time to come in, Liam had a massive meltdown, because he felt like he had been short-changed by 1 minute. ONE MINUTE. So this led to lots of yelling, refusing to clean up brand new Legos purchased on our trip, lots of uses of “No!”, and just general defiance. We kept telling him that he needed to turn it around or else we would have to call the Tooth Fairy and tell her not to come. I guess he decided to call our bluff, because he was a stinker all the way to his bed. So, we called off the Tooth Fairy. She did come – but instead of taking his tooth and leaving him money, she left this:
In case you can’t read it, it says:
From the Desk of The Tooth Fairy
My Dearest Liam,
I was so excited to hear that you finally lost your first
tooth! I was ready to come visit you for
the first time until I found out how poorly you behaved before bedtime. That makes me very sad when I can’t visit,
but I only leave money for good children who behave and do what their parents
ask them to, without yelling at them.
I will have to come by on a different night – perhaps you
can take the time between now and then to apologize to your parents and write
them a letter saying how sorry you are
for being so mean. Once you write the
note, I will know you are ready to leave your tooth for me so I can bring your
payment.
Much Love,
The Tooth Fairy
I actually found the idea online from a mom who wrote a
similar note to her daughter whose room was so messy that the Tooth Fairy
couldn’t even get in there to leave the money.
That note told the daughter that she needed to clean her room before the
Tooth Fairy could come back. I just
adapted it for our situation.
This was a really hard decision. It’s a big deal to get a visit from the Tooth
Fairy for the first time, and I hated that we had to take it away. But we feel strongly that you shouldn’t be
rewarded after terrible behavior – there has to be a consequence. He was pretty upset this morning, which we
expected. We’ll see how long it takes
him to write the apology note that the Tooth Fairy requested.
No comments:
Post a Comment