Monday, July 14, 2008

Crack is Whack…and so are Prunes

Well, it has happened. This morning when I was dropping the guys off at daycare, one of the directors poked her head out of the office to say hello. Then she told me that last week Zachary had told her that “crack is whack” (I promise I’ll stop posting about crack very soon…). She said on Thursday he was going around saying it. I knew it was only a matter of time. Luckily, she seemed to think it was about as funny as I did, so it doesn’t look like they’ll be sending any mean notes home. Whew!

Heads up – if you don’t have kids &/or don’t want to read about poop – skip this section. Liam doesn’t poop every day. I can’t say that I’m complaining about not having to change a poopie diaper (who would??). But it had been at least a week since he’d gone (we know he didn’t go at daycare at all last week, or at home in the evenings, but it had been so long, we couldn’t remember exactly when the last time was). He had been a little fussier than normal the last few days and was making what I like to call “dinosaur sounds” – I think he had been working on something for days but just couldn’t make it happen. We had planned on starting some sort of fruit tomorrow, on his 5 month birthday, but decided to start yesterday so we could try and get this non-pooping thing taken care of. When Zachary started fruit, I think we started him on peaches – yummy! Guess what Liam got? If you said prunes, you’d be right! They smelled even worse than the rice cereal. He did OK for the first few bites, but once he got about halfway through, he literally started to gag. I was afraid I was going to get secondhand prune all over me. Thankfully, I didn’t see the prunes again. But I ended up mixing up some cereal and putting the rest of the prunes into that. Now THAT is a nasty looking concoction! He ate it though. Sometimes I feel bad for babies – they eat all this nasty stuff, but they like it because they don’t know any better. So we’ll see if the prunes work their magic. He’ll be eating them for the next 3 days, so this could potentially backfire on us (no pun intended…)

One other funny thing from yesterday...when we go to church, we drop Zachary off in the nursery - it's really like a little Sunday School class, for 2-3 year olds. Sometime during the hour or so, they line up all the kids and go down to another room for "Baby Bible". They read them a little story and then talk about the lesson. The church also has a daycare & school during the week, and the classrooms do double duty as daycare/Sunday nursery. So the class Zachary goes in has a bunch of different costumes the kids can dress up in. For 2 weeks in a row now, Zachary has put on a policeman outfit. Apparently yesterday when it was time to line up for Baby Bible, they could not get the gloves off of his hands. They had to go, so he wore the policeman costume down to Baby Bible. They said he was trying to color with those gloves on - pretty funny.

5 comments:

Drena said...

Wow, that does seem like a while w/ no poop. I don't have experience with it, but the books I read say lots of poop. Hope the prunes work!

m said...

Nice. Owen is pretty much the opposite right now. Two down, curious how many more to go.

Glad Zachary is teaching the other kids some good lessons at school.

Meredith said...

I hope the prunes work! Poor little guy... I bet he's miserable!

Mel said...

Thanks for the poop warning (assuming you were talking to me) but I hope that he starts to feel better soon!! Terah was just telling me this weekend how boys that she knows seem to have trouble in this area a lot...since most of the babies I know are girls, I didn't know that....hmmm hopefully the prunes work.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the record will end soon. Prunes should definitely do the trick! That Zachary is so funny!