Thursday, July 24, 2008

Doggie Xanax and Other Excitement

Yesterday I called the vet about Herschel & his crazy behavior during storms. We are now the proud owners of a bottle of doggie Xanax. Actually, I think it’s the same stuff they give people – they called the prescription in to CVS, which I thought was funny. And thankfully Xanax for your dog is cheaper than I thought it would be. They had the good sense to request generic, which ended up being less than $11 for 30 pills. Whew! I just had this fear that since we don’t have pet insurance that they would say “That will be $396 please.” The funny thing about the medicine though is the bottle. The instructions say “Give 1 to 2 ½ pills as needed for Storm Phobia” – STORM PHOBIA??? That’s a real thing?? And normally, they would print your name as “Last Name, First Name” on the label. Well, on Herschel’s medicine it reads as follows:

CAHILL, “HERSCHEL” K9

Ha ha! I guess his middle name is “K9” now. We always joked that his middle name was “John”, since that’s both Josh’s & Zachary’s middle names. For a while I think Zachary even thought MY middle name was John, because he once asked me if my name was “Mommy John Cahill”. I told him he got 1 out of 3 right. I also love that Herschel’s first name is in quotes on the bottle – like, that’s not his real name or something. I’ll post another update after the next storm, once we’ve had a chance to test this stuff out on him.

Should be an interesting day here at my office. Apparently there are going to be some DHL pilots picketing outside of the office from 10:30-12:30. They have encouraged people to restrict going in or out of the building during that time (I guess for the safety of the picketers?). Josh said I should go down there, and if there are TV cameras, that I should try to get on TV. I have a feeling this could end up being as big of a letdown as the day they told us that Big Brown would be here the Friday before the Belmont Stakes. They said you could pose for a picture with him in front of the building. I went down to check it out because I thought it was weird that they would have a famous race horse at our office 2 days before he was supposed to run in a very big race in NY. Yeah, it was a life size cardboard cutout of the horse. They even had him positioned in the bushes so it looked more “natural”, I guess. So maybe the DHL picketers are just going to be life size cutouts too.

5 comments:

m said...

Glad you got the doggie Xanax. I really have heard it works wonders.

I laughed out loud (at lunch by myself) when I read about Big Brown. That is too funny!

Rebecca said...

Yeah - and they were actually charging money to pose with the cutout!!! (it was for charity, but still!)

Mel said...

Nice....glad he has Xanax! Let us know about the picketers :-)

m said...

Somehow Big Brown managed to get even funnier. Glad I did not know that at lunch. Would have hated to snort my unsweet tea.

Rebecca said...

Glad I could entertain you Meghan. :) I guess the picketers (3D) did show up: http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2008/07/24/dhl_ups_protest.html
I didn't actually see them, but I stayed inside till they were gone. They posted some pictures too: http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view/business/dhlpilots/