This morning I asked the main "teacher" in the infant room about bringing solid food for Liam to start eating there next week. We've been feeding him cereal in the morning, and we've been giving him fruits & vegetables in the evening, but we haven't yet started fruits & vegetables in the afternoon. Here is what she told me. If the food comes from a glass jar, then I have to put it in a Tupperware container because glass is not allowed. However, if the food comes from a plastic container, I have to bring it in unopened. My issue is that right now I only want them to give him half the container. She said they could split it for me, but they won't save the other half (they are not allowed to keep food overnight). I must have been giving her a look that said "Are you kidding me?!" because eventually I could tell that she had realized what she was telling me made no sense. I mean, if I showed up with a Tupperware container of baby food, how are they going to know whether it started out in a glass jar or a plastic container? So my solution is to put half the food in a Tupperware bowl and tell them it came from a glass jar - even if it didn't. Why are they such a pain? They keep blaming it on their NAEYC certification, but the daycare Zachary went to as a baby was also NAEYC certified, and we would bring in a bagful of glass baby food jars that they would keep in the cabinet and feed to him, so we didn't have to bring food in each day. Did they change the rules? Or was the old daycare just not as strict in following them? Or does this daycare just take the rules to a new extreme? Who knows. But it definitely makes things more complicated.
Apparently yesterday was kind of a rough day at school for Zachary. I guess the new thing in his class is for the kids to tell each other that they are or are not their best friend. Evidently a couple of kids told him yesterday that he is not their best friend. :( But I have learned that at this age, kids change their minds all the time, so today he could possibly be everyone's best friend. Who knows. I know you always hear that kids can be cruel - I guess I just didn't realize it started so young.
September Quotes
2 months ago
5 comments:
That is definitely crazy! And you're right, makes no sense whatsoever!!!
Hopefully today Zachary is someone's best friend!
Yesterday I went to visit the new daycare that Charlotte is to start on 8/11. It is NAEYC as well. I send bottles of breastmilk for Charlotte to drink during the day. The lady that keeps her now will save any remainders for me to use later (I will use it up to 24 hours later). The new daycare said once they heat it up, they'll throw it away after an hour! it will be very discouraging to know some of it will be wasted.
Sorry to hear about Zachary's rough day. It is amazing how quick they start cliques. Caroline was lucky this past year, but her teacher's t/th class had cliques already and they said it was awful.
Caroline and Owen's school is NAEYC also and they do not send any food home with the kids. I am guessing it is a pretty strict part of the accreditation to not send home any food. Although, when they make muffins and stuff they do send some home... interesting...
What is NAEYC?
NAEYC is an organization that offers guidelines for daycares & pre-schools. It is basically something the schools can apply for and then say they are accredited - and as such, have to follow all of NAEYC's guidelines for education, safety, etc. It is good for a daycare/pre-school to have something like this (there are other things they could get certified in besides NAEYC) because you know they follow stricter standards than what the state minimally requiers - but it often can lead to headaches because some of the policies make no sense (like, the thing with baby food from a glass jar has to be brought in Tupperware but baby food from a plastic container has to be brought in unopened...???)
Post a Comment