A while back I was watching Jon & Kate + Eight. They were doing movie night - it was something they used to do with the twins when they were younger, and I think this was the first time they were involving the little kids in it. They all put on their pj's, made some popcorn and other snacks, and curled up on the couches and under blankets for whatever movie they were watching. I thought this looked like fun, so we decided to let Zachary have a movie night tonight. Normally he can watch one kiddie TV show a day or about 25 minutes of a movie. So we figured letting him watch a whole movie at one time would be a treat (not to mention we could see whether he could make it through a whole movie - I'd love to take him to one in a theater sometime, but I wanted to test it out at home before we spend $ at the theater). So after dinner, we let him put on his pj's and bring down his pillow and a blanket from his bed. We spread out a big blanket on the living room floor, and we started the movie. Tonight's feature was the Disney movie Cars. He LOVES this movie. He's probably seen it at least 10 times, but not all at once. We started the movie and he was really good - he was quiet and attentive. About 30 minutes in we paused to make popcorn. This was another treat, because he'd never had popcorn before. He was doing really well until about an hour & 20 minutes into the movie - apparently this is about his limit. At this point he got up and wanted to run around the living room and jump over Josh. Now that I think about it, I bet he felt himself getting really tired and this was his way of keeping himself awake (because by this point it was almost 8:00, which is the time he's normally in bed). So we did manage to make it through the movie, but it was 8:30 when it was over. We told him it was time to head up for bed because it was late. He said something about his bath, and we told him he could take a bath in the morning since it was late. This set off a major meltdown because he wasn't getting to take a bath. I mean, for real - what kind of kid gets upset that they cannot take a bath?!? Apparently ours....So the whole time he was brushing his teeth he was bawling about not having a bath. Then as he was spitting the water out of his mouth, he spit some water in my eye. Well, that got him no bedtime stories, which made him even more upset than he already was. So we go into his room and then he starts crying that he wants different pj's. I'm like, you're going to be sleeping - you won't even know which ones you have on. At this point, Josh & Liam came in to say good night, and Zachary let out a major howl about the pj's. Well, Liam, not wanting to be left out, let out a scream too. So now the screaming was in stereo (everything is better in stereo, right?). This is why he went to bed at his regular time last week instead of staying up for fireworks.
It's all quiet in the house now. And I guess the first thing we're doing in the morning is giving Zachary his bath...
September Quotes
2 months ago
2 comments:
Oh no! How very sad... Sorry it didn't go so well..
kids and their routines....
Post a Comment