Wednesday, July 29, 2009

One of Those Days

It started around 3:15 yesterday afternoon. My phone rang and it was the boys’ school. It was one of the directors, and she started off with “Everything is OK…” – never a good sign. Turns out that Zachary fell while pushing a chair in, and he hit his face on the floor, cutting his lip on the way down. She didn’t think it required stitches or anything, but wanted to give me the heads up in case it was bruised or swollen when I got there. Then she apologized again for not calling about Liam last week (which I appreciated, but didn’t really know how to respond – “it’s OK”? No, because it was not OK. “thank you”? Ehhhh…) Anyway, I think because of that, she is just now being overly cautious. When I went to pick them up, Liam started asking for milk, as he does every day. Usually his sippy cup is empty, but I give it to him anyway – we always get a refill as soon as we get home anyway. Well, yesterday his sippy cup had been accidentally left at home, so he had used the “loaner” cup, which still had milk in it. So his teacher (whose name is Shelley, but apparently Liam calls her “Lolly”) said we could take the cup home & bring it back today. It’s one of those take-&-toss cups with the snap-on lid. We get Zachary & head home. I had started getting a sinus headache later in the afternoon & it was getting worse. Zachary was in a foul mood, shouting & talking back at everything I did or said, so I told him no TV. This is usually a good punishment for him – except when I need to cook dinner. That is a GREAT diversion for them & keeps them out of my hair while I get the food ready. So of course since there was no TV, they wanted to help me. Zachary pulled a chair up to the counter (now in a much better mood), and I was cutting chicken by the sink, when all of a sudden there was a thud. I turned around and Zachary’s mouth was open, Liam was on his back on the floor, and milk was EVERYWHERE. Apparently Liam had tried climbing into the chair with Zachary (all the while clutching the loaner cup from school), and he fell off, which popped the top off the cup spilling milk all over the place. Not to mention he banged his head on the hard kitchen floor. I picked him up & made sure he was OK (which he was), and then declared that they needed to get out of the kitchen. As I started cleaning up the milk I realized that somehow milk was literally all over the kitchen. If you’ve been in my house, you’ll understand, but there was milk on the fridge, on the stove, on the cabinets under the sink, on the island, and of course all over the floor in between. Sigh…

Oh, and update on sunscreen…when the director had called, I went ahead & asked her about sunscreen. She talked to the teacher & apparently the teacher realized the other day that maybe having 4-year-olds put sunscreen on their own faces maybe wasn’t the best idea (you think??). They still let them put it on their arms & legs, but they are helping with the faces. I thought that maybe he was rubbing his eyes while he still had sunscreen on his hands from doing his arms & legs, and she said they do have them wash their hands – no telling how well they wash them, but they do wash them. She also thinks it could be dirt – they like to play in the dirt she’s wondering if maybe they are getting dirt in their eyes. Could be – he does come home with a dirty face a lot of days. But the good news is that at least they are not having the kids put sunscreen on their own face anymore.

And one other funny story I keep forgetting. On Friday, after I took Liam to the doctor for his hand, we made a quick stop at the mall (I had Gymbucks to spend!). After Gymboree, I decided to make a quick stop in Baby Gap. We went in, and the lady working there looked at Liam & his mummy hand and said, “Oh…is he a thumb-sucker?” Now, it’s hard to tell from the pictures I posted the other day, but his thumb was actually the only part of his hand that was NOT wrapped up in the bandage (so he could still be able to grab things). I’m not a doctor or a child psychologist or anything, but…doesn’t it seem that if you wanted to curb thumb-sucking that you would actually cover the thumb, and not everything BUT the thumb??? Neither of the boys was a thumb-sucker though, so I may just be talking out of my butt.

No comments: