Friday, October 2, 2009

Aaaaaaahhhhhh……

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to be saying for the next 6 months or so. I’ll start at the beginning. Yesterday was a good day. Sure, it was my birthday – how could it NOT be a good day? But it was a really good day. To start, Josh made breakfast – ham & biscuits. I love when he makes breakfast. There isn’t always time in the morning, but since he works from home on Thursdays, he had time yesterday. Then I got in to work and my boss tells me he’s going to buy my breakfast (we have a cafeteria at work, and every morning people go down there first thing for coffee & breakfast). I thanked him, and told him that he was getting off easy since Josh had already made breakfast – but I got some fruit & hot tea, just so he wouldn’t feel bad. Then one of my projects that I’ve been working really hard on for the last few weeks finally got the OK to launch – yay! Trust me – that was a BIG accomplishment. So far, things were going well. I did have a training class from 11-12, that may or may not have been worth my time. I wasn’t surprised when my boss got up around 11:45 and left the room. Actually, I thought he was just going to the restroom since he left all of his stuff, but he didn’t come back until it was over. Weird. So I go back to my desk, and one of my co-workers told me that my boss had run to the restroom and he wanted me to wait at my desk because there was a minor emergency with one of my projects and he needed to talk to me. Nooooooooo!!! It’s my birthday. And things were going so well! Crap! So I’m sitting there waiting for him and a few minutes later he shows up and I blurt out “What is going on???” He’s smiling a little bit, and then I see Josh poke his head in the doorway. He had roses! I asked him what he was doing here, and he said he had come to take me to lunch. Score! There was no project emergency – that was just their mean attempt to make sure I stayed at my desk while my boss went & got Josh from the lobby. It worked, and I was thoroughly surprised. I think Josh was happy that he pulled the surprise off, because normally anytime he tries to surprise me, I manage to ruin it somehow. The best one was for my 30th birthday. Josh wanted to take me out to a nice dinner, but because Zachary was only 4 months old at the time, I just wanted to stay close to home, and eat somewhere quick & cheap (La Parrilla). Josh had other plans. He decided that we would go to a Japanese steakhouse. I love Japanese steakhouse, but it takes a while, and was just more expensive than I wanted to do. The more I insisted that we just go to La Parrilla (after all, it WAS my birthday…) the more he insisted we go to the Japanese steakhouse, and the more upset I got that he was dead set on doing what HE wanted to do on MY birthday. We arrived at the Japanese steakhouse, and I was still pouting. As he parked the car he said, “OK, the reason we are here is because this is a surprise party – a bunch of your friends are inside. So act surprised.” Wah wah wah…yep – I had ruined the surprise! So I think he was proud of himself for pulling this one off.

But it got better. He cooked dinner that I had chosen (and even ate a few bites of mac & cheese for me!). I had decided I would open one present yesterday and save the rest for my “official” birthday dinner on Sunday. So after dinner he & the boys go to the closet & bring out this BIG basket of stuff. His office had a silent auction for United Way last week. I knew about the basket he had won that was full of UGA stuff. What I did not know was that he had also bid on – and won – another basket. This one was FULL of all sorts of spa stuff – lotions & aromatherapy stuff from Bath & Body Works, some Mary Kay Satin Hands & foot scrub stuff, candles, relaxing music CDs, a bottle of wine, and the best part…3 gift certificates. One is for a one hour private yoga session at a yoga center in Vinings, one is for a haircut/manicure/pedicure from a salon on Howell Mill Road, and…the granddaddy of them all…a spa day at a spa in Canton. It is good for a one-hour facial, a one-hour massage, a 45 minute manicure, and a one-hour pedicure. That is like half a day! Out of the house! For just myself! And the best part is that most of the stuff was “free” because he won it for a lot less than what it is worth. This gift was also a surprise. I think he often gets frustrated with me, because I generally just want things like clothes & shoes, which means I end up just asking for gift cards, or buying my own gifts for him to give to me. So we both enjoy when he is able to surprise me with something I love that I would never have expected.

The celebration continues through the weekend, so more later!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

WOW! What a great day! :)