Josh had to run out to Kroger Monday evening, due to the fact that the recent bag of frozen chicken we bought from Costco is just not doing it for me. So we needed some new chicken, and while he was there, he decided to go ahead & get a turkey, before they were all picked over. He called me from the store to ask how big of a turkey we needed (incidentally, he was slobbering over a 20 pouder at the time…). Since I was on the computer, I Google’d it, and found a nifty Butterball turkey calculator. It asks you how many adults & children you have, whether or not you want leftovers, and whether you are big eaters or light eaters. So I plugged in 6 adults and 2 children. I checked that we wanted leftovers. And just to ensure there were leftovers, I checked that we are big eaters. The result – we need 14 lbs of turkey. So I told him 14 lbs, but if he was worried that was not enough, he could go anywhere in the 14-16 lb range. When he got back home he said, “Well, I went a little bit bigger than the range…” I’m like “You didn’t get that 20 pounder did you? Because that’s a crapload of turkey.” He went with one that was 17.5 lbs. Holy moly. So then yesterday we were watching Rachael Ray from one day this week – she was doing a whole Thanksgiving episode where she was giving people tips on how to decorate fabulously, but on the cheap, for Thanksgiving, and how to do an easy Thanksgiving dinner that looks super fancy. She was helping this girl who was cooking her first Thanksgiving, and she tells the girl, “A good rule of thumb on the turkey is 1 pound per person.” ONE POUND PER PERSON??? That means we should have bought an 8 lbs turkey. Yowza! So apparently we will have more than enough turkey. If you find yourself running short, feel free to stop by – we will have turkey out the wazoo.
2 comments:
you know, I watched that episode (while working from home) and she is crazy...one pound per person would not give you leftovers at all because the bones and the stuff you take out of the middle and then fact that fat cooks off. I know that my mom used to always tell me 10-11lbs or so for the 4 of us when I would do it with my dad and sisters after they got divorced and that worked well. I also think that I got a 12lb turkey for Craig and I last year (smallest they had left by the time I got up here that Wed to buy it) and it was good with LOTS of leftovers but we only eat the white meat. You can freeze turkey to eat later if you have too much or you can make a homemade soup with it (that is what I am going to do with the dark meat this year).
Anyway, I think that 14lbs will be good for 6 adults and 2 kids....17.5?? hmmm.
So, did you end up with a ton? My guess is after a couple days of leftovers you'll be glad you cooked up the big bird! (But, thank goodness he didn't get the 20 pounder!!!)
Post a Comment