Friday, January 14, 2011

Snow Days 3-5

I STILL cannot believe that school was cancelled ALL week!  CRAZY!  So Monday (day 1) was pretty fun - we found a pool float & used it as a sled, and the boys had a ton of fun sledding in our yard.  By Tuesday (day 2), cabin fever was starting to set in.  We loaded the boys in the wagon & walked to Kroger, just to get out.  By Wednesday (day 3), cabin fever hit an all time high.  We turned up the volume on the laptop & played some dance music & had an impromptu dance party before bed.  It was good just to get some energy out!



By Thursday (day 4), I think disbelief really started to set in.  We HAD to get out, so we went to Chick-fil-A for lunch.  The roads were still icy, but driveable.  We slid a couple of times (nothing major) but we made it safely.  It was good to get out of the house/yard.  Then thankfully Zachary's karate school was open, so we headed back out for his karate class.  It was just Zachary & one other boy - I was surprised there weren't more people there!

By today (day 5), we finally accepted that yes, it had been a whole week.  Sigh...Josh & I are lucky that we both have the flexibility to work from home.  Josh normally does 2 days a week, and while I'm not able to on a regular basis, I am able to when the situation arises (sick child, etc.)  So thankfully we didn't have to burn vacation days this week.  And even though it was nice having extra time at home with the boys, it was a tough week.  They were out of school with no school-related responsibilities, but Josh & I still had to work, and at times they didn't understand that.  This is why we both stayed home all week - otherwise, if it had just been one of us here, that person wouldn't have gotten any work done.  At least with 2 of us, we could take turns if the need arose.

So what did we do all week?  Well, I think they watched more movies & TV this week than ever before.  But when you are trapped inside the house for the better part of 5 days straight, you run out of things to do.  For the most part, we had 2 outside playtimes - one in the morning & one in the afternoon.  Although I learned that Liam isn't really a fan of the cold.  If you tell him we're going outside in the snow, he'll go, but if you give him the option to go outside or stay inside, he'll pick to stay inside.  He takes after me.  But then Zachary apparently got Josh's cold-weather loving gene, because he would have stayed out in the snow all day if we had let him.  We baked - a chocolate fudge pie (that was a major baking fail), and some frosted butterscotch blondies (a baking success!).  We played trains.  We snuggled.  We did puzzles.  I'm sure there's more - the days all started to run together.

We're looking forward to the next 2 days - with the temperatures getting above freezing we can finally get out pretty safely, and it will be nice not having to do work.  The salt in the wound is that there is no school on Monday because of MLK day.  Josh's commany has the day as a holiday, but my company does not have the day off.  Originally Josh was going to have a fun boy's day, and possibly bring them down to my office to meet me for lunch  But after this past week, a break might be in order.  Liam's school has decided to open Monday, so I think we'll take him to school, and Zachary's karate school is having a one-day camp.  So Josh will have some free time, which will be nice.  And then we are all looking forward to getting back into our regular routines on Tuesday.

No comments: