Monday, February 17, 2014

Snow Jam 2014 Part 2

I still can't believe this happened, but we had another snowstorm!  This time, everyone was prepared and no one took any chances.  It looked like it might be moving in sometime this past Tuesday, so they went ahead & cancelled school for Tuesday & Wednesday.  They then cancelled school for Thursday.  Friday & today were already supposed to be days off, so by the time it's all said & done, the kids will have had a while week off school.  Sigh...

Backing up for a moment, I had decided last Monday to go to the doctor about my cough.  With the impending weather, I knew I might not be able to get back out for a couple of days, so I went ahead and made an appointment.  Good thing I did - they said I had bronchitis.  Yay!  So I dropped off my prescriptions and then went back to work (mainly because my laptop was still there, and I knew I would be needing it at home over the next few days).  Once I picked up my laptop, I came on home.

It started snowing the next day, the biggest, fattest snowflakes I have ever seen.  It was crazy!  But because the ground was still so warm from the previous days, nothing was sticking.  In hindsight, they could have had school, but after the storm 2 weeks ago, they were not taking any chances.  The sledding in the back yard wasn't too great, because there wasn't that much snow, and it was kind of mushy.

When we woke up Wednesday, we had a nice little blanket of snow - it wasn't as much as the last time, but this time ice was what everyone was worried about.  We didn't get that much ice, but we did get enough to make the sledding out back be quite fun.  In fact, even though I was only 2 days into bronchitis, I had to take a few runs myself.  Even though I was annoyed with the weather for causing the kids to have to miss even more days, it was actually not so bad this time - my workload was pretty light, so I was actually able to rest more than I probably would have otherwise.  I think that was what I needed - if it hadn't been for the weather, I probably would have been at work, not getting much rest.



 We made grain-free chocolate chip cookies.  They were really good!  There is just something about being snowed in that makes you have to bake something.


We also snuggled up watching a movie.  I think this one was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.



By Thursday, we had cabin fever pretty bad.  We had already had to abandon the soup we had planned to make the day before because we were missing some key ingredients.  We called Kroger and found out that they were opened.  So we suited up and headed out on foot.  In retrospect, we probably could have driven there, but I always remember as a kid anytime it snowed, we would walk to the store.  I would never remember if we had driven there - walking was something different, and we only did it in the snow.  So we thought it would be kind of a fun adventure.  We had a list, and 2 backpacks, and set off for supplies.









 

By the afternoon, the snow was melting pretty fast.  It was pretty bad for sledding, but we were able to roll up a pretty cute snowman.  The boys named him Murray Frost Cahill.






It was another fun week, but the school year has been so disjointed since we came back from the holidays, so I'm looking forward to school getting going again tomorrow with no more unplanned breaks.  And the kids will finally get to exchange their valentines tomorrow!

No comments: