Monday, February 16, 2009

Liam's First Birthday

First off, let me apologize for not having any pictures of Liam’s big day. It is so tough to find time to download pictures off my camera (which is why I usually only do it once a month – and Melissa, this is also my explanation for why I have been such a slacker with the photo project!). Anyway, he had a great day! This is despite having a big brother who apparently was not sure how to behave himself for a party that was at his house but was not for him. Zachary kept asking if he could have the balloons, and was running around like a crazy person once his friend Cameron got there. Oh, and while Liam was eating his little cake, Zachary kept whining that he wanted cake too, even though we had not cut the big cake yet. We kept trying to tell him that in a few months the party would be for him, but that this party was for Liam. Anyway, but it was a much smaller crowd than we usually have for Zachary’s party (this was by design). But looking back on it, it still seemed like a lot of people! That’s probably because the weather is much warmer for Zachary’s birthday and the party generally spills into the back yard. Liam seemed to love his cake. He didn’t do anything too wild or crazy with it. Just slowly and carefully stuck his hands in it, never cracking a smile – he was all business with that cake. Amazingly he didn’t cry when we took it away from him (those Publix mini cakes for the birthday baby are actually really big!). He did cry when we tried washing him off. Buttercream frosting doesn’t just wash off skin with water…And we almost had a cake disaster. I had ordered the cake from Publix last weekend, and had them write “Happy 1st Birthday Liam” on it. Well, I got to Publix yesterday to pick it up, and the cake said “Happy 1st Birthday Lime”. Um, who’s Lime?? So I told the lady who had brought it out that the cake was wrong. She said “Well how is his name supposed to be spelled?” and (this is where I got a little snotty…) I said “L-I-A-M – just like the ticket says…” They had gotten the little cake right, and they were able to fix the big cake (although the frosting used to re-write “Liam” was slightly fatter than the rest of the writing – hopefully people didn’t really notice though…). Seriously though – Lime??? Today is the cruel part though – we get to follow up yesterday’s fun party & cake-eating with a trip to the doctor & some shots. Poor guy. I hate that part…

Josh & I had a nice Valentine’s Day too. We went to see “He’s just not that into you”. It was cute – even Josh liked it (was I supposed to say that?). Actually, I think he liked the fact that the characters seemed to have connections with each other, even though they never all came together (kind of like LOST). People were funny in our theater too – they started clapping at the end in one part (I won’t say which part in case you haven’t seen it). I have never been in a movie where people were clapping & cheering – it was funny. And we followed that up with a dinner at – drumroll please – TGI Fridays. Actually, we had a good reason – we didn’t really feel like spending a ton on dinner, and we had a gift card, so it worked out. They were even playing love songs and handing out carnations, so it was all very classy…

2 comments:

Mel said...

I have been pretty slack about uploading them as well!! The point was to practice and I feel like I have done that a little bit and I am hoping that I will be able to do better when it is light out when I get home.

Drena said...

Sounds like a great day!