Thursday, February 12, 2009

Who ARE These People???

Since I don’t really have anything funny about my kids to write about today, I thought I’d go somewhere I haven’t really gone – current events. But more specifically, some of the weirdos making the news lately.

First we’ll start with Mr. Peanut. What is up with this guy? Apparently for as long as THREE YEARS he has known that his products may contain salmonella, but evidently that didn’t matter. Lab tests were taking “too long” and he was losing sales, so he ordered them out the door anyway. Has this guy not ever heard of salmonella before and that it can KILL YOU?? I read an article today that said that in late January – well into the federal investigation – he was contacting the FDA asking if he could at least turn the raw peanuts on his factory floor into money. SERIOUSLY??? Oh no he didn’t. Someone needs to remind Mr. Peanut that his salmonella nuts have already killed 8 people and sickened like 500 more. And this guy thinks he is going to be allowed to turn out just a few more products? Sure – why not? What’s a few more infested nut products when we’re already got over 1,000 out there now.

Then there’s Octo-Mom. I think that on any other day the birth of octuplets would probably be considered amazing. I mean, those of us who have only ever had one baby at a time know that especially towards the end, it doesn’t feel like there’s much extra room in there. Yes, I do know that with multiple births the babies are smaller than a single baby. But still – I cannot ever imagine what it would be like having 8 of them in there (and from what I understand, up until the moment the babies were delivered, everyone thought she was only having 7 babies). I’ve seen pictures of Kate Gosselin’s tummy and she only had 6 – and it was HUGE! Anyway, so I find it really interesting that this lady’s situation has sparked such fury in people. I don’t blame them for a second – it’s totally irresponsible. She is a single, unemployed woman getting IVF treatments. It is all very deliberate – it’s not like she just had a really good time partying one night and ended up pregnant. She has spent around $100,000 getting pregnant with all these kids – where exactly did that money come from? I live in a 2-income household and we can’t afford $100,000 (or 14 kids!). And I read today that they are now saying that the taxpayers in California may end up footing the bill for the babies’ hospital stay (which is estimated to reach around $1.3 million). Let me just say that I am very glad I don’t live in California. I don’t blame the children and think it’s unfair to them to be brought into this, but I also don’t feel like it should be people’s responsibility to pay for someone else’s kids – especially under these strange circumstances (and evidently California is already like $42 million in the red, which, as we all learned from Melissa's accounting lesson, red is bad). And apparently she has set up a website where you can make donations. This is a tough one because it’s unfair to make the kids suffer, but clearly this woman doesn’t know how to manage money, if she is using disability money to pay for IVF and using student loan money to pay for child expenses (and somehow she plans to go to school – don’t know how that’s going to work with 14 little kids – 10 of whom are under the age of 2!!! – running around). You know things are bad when your own mother thinks you’re crazy & irresponsible.

Finally there’s good ol’ Blagojevich. He is now saying that the lawmakers who removed him from office are drunkards and adulterers who don't know how to do their jobs. Wow! Looks like someone took a ride on the Bitter Bus! Really dude. I haven’t followed this too closely, but this kind of reminds me of Britney Spears when she had her meltdown – just kind of sad and embarrassing, and you just wish he would shut up before he says more stupid things. My impression of this guy is not that he is sorry for what he did – it’s that he is sorry he got caught. Isn’t that the only reason why you would try to take everyone else down with you?

So there you have it. It is just amazing to me that people like this actually exist. Thankfully I don’t know anyone like these people. At least, I don’t think I do…

2 comments:

Mel said...

I can't stand octo-mom and I feel so sorry for the kids...the odds are really against them as far as all the health and development issues. I have seen clips of that lady being interviewed and she is nuts!!! I blame the doctor...who would do that...and the "donor" for all 14 is the same dude...where is he? It is all just really sad to me and I hate that they keep talking about it because it upsets me!!

Drena said...

agree on all