Normally I wear pants to work. I think it’s just a habit back from the days when open-toed shoes were not allowed here & hose were required (I HATE wearing hose). But now our toes can breathe and hose are no longer a necessity, but I just have not gotten into a regular habit of wearing skirts & dresses. But I do occasionally, and yesterday was one such day. I went out for lunch with a co-worker (and on the way to lunch, we were discussing our preference for pants vs. skirts), and while we were eating it started to rain. Neither one of us knew it was even supposed to rain yesterday. It was just a light drizzle when we left, but I needed to make one more quick stop before going back to the office. I drove up Roswell Road and by this point it was raining harder – it felt like I was driving a boat, because the road had already filled up with those big puddles, where when your drive through them they cover your windshield, making it impossible to see for about 2 seconds. We finally reached our destination – a shoe repair shop in a strip shopping area at Roswell Road & Abernathy (the shoes I had worn yesterday need a new piece on the heel). It was pouring by this point but it was just a quick couple of steps from the car into the shop – or so I thought. I opened the door, put my foot on the ground and realized instantly that the parking lot was flooded – I’m guessing at least 4 inches, because I had on 2 & ½ inch heels, and the water was above my ankles! It seriously could not have been raining for more than 10 minutes, so I have no idea how the parking lot was so full of water already. After I had dropped my shoes off to be repaired and waded back through the water to get back in my car, my co-worker said “Aren’t you glad you didn’t wear pants today?” Yes, I was glad I didn’t wear pants – otherwise the bottoms surely would have gotten soaked (which then would have seeped up the pant leg throughout the afternoon). I was, however, disappointed that I had not worn my flippers. It was horrible! When I got back in the car I took my shoe off for a second, and water gushed out, soaking the floormat. We got back to the office, and after sloshing my way back to my desk, I removed my shoes, and placed them on my desk to dry. And oh, by the way – I learned that shoes don’t dry out super fast. Just when I would think they were starting to dry out, I’d put them on to walk somewhere, and more water would squish out of them.
Another funny from Monday…We have a cleaning lady who comes every other week on Monday. She does a really good job – she even makes little roses on the end of the toilet paper roll. For some reason we had 3 extra rolls of toilet paper stacked up in our bathroom. When I went in there Monday evening, I noticed that she had not only made a rose on the roll that was hanging on the wall, but she also did the 3 extra rolls. The rolls were laid on their sides, all in a row, and I thought that they looked like a little toilet paper garden. Here is where men & women differ…when Josh went in & saw them he said, “Hey – look at this! It looks like a slot machine!”
Also, I keep forgetting to post a picture of our new babies! Before we left for the beach we discovered that our nest had 5 new eggs in it. We figured they’d be long gone by the time we got back (and then we forgot to look anyway). But on Sunday Josh noticed something fuzzy moving around in the nest, so after the mommy bird had flown away, he got out the ladder & went up for a look. Sure enough, we have at least 4 baby birds. We have no idea if these are the babies from the eggs we saw before the beach or if it is a new batch (anyone know what the “gestation” is on a robin egg??). But they are so cute & fuzzy. They also seem to have fortified the nest with some sort of unidentifiable material (Josh said he thought it looked like bird poop – but I don’t know if birds would use their own poop to make a nest or not?). We asked Zachary to name the birds, and he gave us 2 names: Goppie and Little Birdie Bobby. Please leave a comment if you have suggestions for names for the other 2 birds!
Another funny from Monday…We have a cleaning lady who comes every other week on Monday. She does a really good job – she even makes little roses on the end of the toilet paper roll. For some reason we had 3 extra rolls of toilet paper stacked up in our bathroom. When I went in there Monday evening, I noticed that she had not only made a rose on the roll that was hanging on the wall, but she also did the 3 extra rolls. The rolls were laid on their sides, all in a row, and I thought that they looked like a little toilet paper garden. Here is where men & women differ…when Josh went in & saw them he said, “Hey – look at this! It looks like a slot machine!”
Also, I keep forgetting to post a picture of our new babies! Before we left for the beach we discovered that our nest had 5 new eggs in it. We figured they’d be long gone by the time we got back (and then we forgot to look anyway). But on Sunday Josh noticed something fuzzy moving around in the nest, so after the mommy bird had flown away, he got out the ladder & went up for a look. Sure enough, we have at least 4 baby birds. We have no idea if these are the babies from the eggs we saw before the beach or if it is a new batch (anyone know what the “gestation” is on a robin egg??). But they are so cute & fuzzy. They also seem to have fortified the nest with some sort of unidentifiable material (Josh said he thought it looked like bird poop – but I don’t know if birds would use their own poop to make a nest or not?). We asked Zachary to name the birds, and he gave us 2 names: Goppie and Little Birdie Bobby. Please leave a comment if you have suggestions for names for the other 2 birds!
1 comment:
no ideas for names but that does look like bird poop and the nest in my strawberries had the same thing and it matched the drops they left all over my porch....I never got to see the babies..they were gone when I got back and checked on them.
Post a Comment