Thursday, August 20, 2009

Liam and the Purple Crayon

I think most people know the book Harold and the Purple Crayon, where Harold takes his purple crayon for a walk in the moonlight, drawing everything in his path. Well, yesterday Liam decided to do a live-action rendition of this book – by coloring on our couch. With a purple crayon, no less. Normally we keep crayons out of reach, because one (or more) of the following inevitably happens: crayons end up ALL OVER the floor, crayons end up in Liam’s mouth, or crayon marks end up on furniture, floors, etc. Last week we discovered Liam (we assume Liam) had colored all over our armoire. Yesterday, the couch. Apparently the crayons had been left out where he could get to them and he perfected his masterpiece while I was cooking dinner. I took a damp paper towel last night & dabbed it – but it was still wet when I went to bed, and I forgot to check this morning to see if it had come out. Hopefully it did – if not, I’ll just flip the cushion over & then hope that nothing happens on the other side. Which is thinking REALLY optimistically with 2 boys in the house…

I’ve also been able to catch up on a couple movies we’ve had stored in the DVR. Recently I’ve watched Confessions of a Shopaholic & The Nanny Diaries. The Nanny Diaries was OK. Cute, but not my favorite. I think it was just one of those movies that the premise seemed so outlandish – non-working moms with a full-time nanny…maybe it infuriated me a bit? Who knows. Although I do know that there are people who don’t work who have nannies – and I just don’t understand that (and I’m not talking about people with lots of kids or people who have a nanny for a few hours a week so they can get things done – I’m talking one, maybe 2 kids, and full-time nannies, when there is a non-working parent around). Kind of like the snotty mom of the boy in Zachary’s class who looked at me like I was crazy one time when I asked her which class her daughter is in – she said (in a very uppity voice, I might add), “She only visits when the nanny needs a day off.” Alrighty then! To each her own…But I did enjoy Shopaholic. I think Isla Fisher is funny anyway, but the movie was cute as well. Even Josh thought it was pretty good – for a chick flick. And that movie I could relate to, because I do love to shop…which has become MUCH more difficult in recent days as we’re now 1 week into our month with no credit card. The past week has definitely not been as much fun. But hopefully there will be something learned at the end of it. Or something saved…I don’t know – I’m sure there’s a purpose to it somewhere. :)

Not much else going on. We are getting more information from Zachary lately about the stuff he’s learning at school (he used to just say “I played with my friends”, and when we’d ask him which ones, he would say “All of them!”). So far he has learned to count to 100, and then yesterday they counted to 15 in Spanish. He has demonstrated both of these for us. They also learned how to sign their colors, but he didn’t show that to us. Not like we’d know if he was doing them right anyway, since neither of us knows sign language. They also have said that he is getting better with his handwriting – but they haven’t sent anything home to show us, so we’ll just have to take their word for it, I guess. I think he is really enjoying pre-K so far.

No comments: