Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Walk This Way

OK, so after reading Erin’s comment to my post from yesterday, I felt a little bad for complaining. I mean, of course, lugging 2 babies around is much worse than just one (twice as hard, even! Ha ha...). By the way, I have NO idea how you do it, Erin. Anyway, I felt even better when Liam decided to actually WALK to the car yesterday afternoon! When I got to his classroom, of course he demanded to be picked up. I obliged, not wanting to waste time dealing with a tantrum at that moment. Although the teacher did say that a lot of the kids in there now want to be carried out, and she thinks it’s because they see others getting carried out, so then they want to be carried too. These toddlers are creating a vicious cycle! Anyway, after I got Zachary, we headed to the parking lot. Zachary was walking a little bit in front of us, so I asked Liam if he wanted down, and then I threw Zachary’s name out there too, because goodness knows he loves him some Zachary. He immediately said “dow!” and almost dove headfirst out of my arms. I put him down, took his hand, and he toddled to the car. Woo hoo! Josh had worked from home yesterday so when I pulled into the garage, he opened the door to the house to greet us – I decided to try again, so I put Liam down to see if he’d run to Daddy, and wouldn’t you know it, he did! So, today I’m going to try getting Zachary first, and see if I can lure Liam into walking by using Zachary as bait. Is that bad?

It was also a big afternoon at home. Zachary’s Halloween costume arrived. Yes, I know it’s the middle of August. And yes, I know Halloween is at the end of October. But Zachary is the kind of kid that gets something in his mind and then you can’t make him budge (he told us back in like March or April that he wanted to be Batman for Halloween, and here we are in August, still going with Batman – and I think I’ve mentioned that back in June he said that he wants his next birthday party to have a pirate theme, and he still talks about his pirate party that he’s going to have when he turns 5). So once he decides what he wants to be, I feel compelled to get his costume early, because I have no idea what I’d do if I waited till closer to Halloween & then couldn’t find his size anywhere. He would still insist on being Batman, and I’d be the bad Mommy who couldn’t make that happen (although he has already said that NEXT Halloween – yes, 2010 – he wants to be a garbage man…if he sticks with that over the next year, I’m pretty sure I’ll wait till the last minute to look for a garbage man costume…). He could not wait to try the Batman suit on. I had ordered 2 sizes, because the sizes they had were 2-4 or 4-6. Hmmmm…he’s 4, what to do. Well, the 2-4 would have been perfect for him last year but was a bit snug on him now. I feared he might split the pants open. The 4-6 will be perfect for him in about 3 years. I have no idea why they don’t make a size in between. We decided to go with the bigger size, so he will be Saggy Baggy Batman. He was very excited though because last year his Spiderman costume had a mask that only covered his eyes – didn’t have the full head/face mask like Spiderman usually wears (it was a toddler size, and I guess they decided that toddlers don’t need their whole heads covered). So this year he was very specific that he wanted a FULL Batman mask, and that is what he got. Liam is going to be a lion – and that is because I have a super cute lion costume that Zachary wore for his 2nd Halloween (when he was around Liam’s age), and I want to get another use out of it. I wish I could be creative & come up with a matching or coordinating theme for the two of them like Meghan does – but it’s hard when all your child wants to be is one superhero or another & you can’t talk him out of it.

3 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

Too bad you have the cute Lion costume - Liam could have been Robin!

Mel said...

or next year he can be a garbage can :-) HA or a bag of garbage....

Drena said...

where did you get the costumes? I have started looking too and I've found one place that has cute stuff- fireflies. One of the cutest is also a lion so Oliver may be a lion too, but they have a cute monkey too and since I've called him evil monkey....