Monday, August 17, 2009

A Long Day

Yesterday was a long day. And not all in the good kind of way. We did end up going to Maggiano’s for dinner on Saturday for their awesome pasta promotion. My mom met us there & after we finished eating, she took Zachary back to her house for a sleepover. Sounds like they had a good time – they watched Wall-E and made popcorn, and then Zachary woke her up before 6am, just like he would have done to us if he had been home. So she definitely got the full Zachary Experience. Oh, and she gave him some cereal for breakfast, and he apparently told her that was the first time he'd ever had cold cereal with milk. Liar! I told my mom that she’d been had – he’s had cold cereal with milk many times before. Yesterday morning Josh, Liam, & I went out for breakfast at a diner near our house. It’s called the Diner at Crabapple, but they’ve used the term “diner” very loosely. It’s a black linen napkin kind of place…not exactly what I think of when I hear the term “diner”. We’ve been there for dinner – it’s OK – but had never been there for breakfast. We ordered Liam silver dollar pancakes off of the kids menu. There were 10 of them – only, when they came out, they were not exactly what I’d call “silver dollar”. They were more like the size of a softball (only, flat, of course). And there were 10 of them! Somehow he ate 3 of them (don’t know where he put them), so we had 7 pancakes to bring home. But the food was decent for breakfast. After breakfast, Josh went over to my mom’s to pick Zachary up, while Liam & I went to Costco. Liam is fascinated with lights these days, so all through Costco he kept looking up and going, “Light! Light! Woooowwwww!” After we all got home, we took Zachary to his swimming lesson, and then later in the afternoon we took a trip to our neighborhood pool. There were several other families there, but most of the moms were just sitting on the edge of the pool (in bathing suits, but not in the pool). As I got into the water, one of the moms said to me, “You are very brave!” I’m not completely sure what she meant – like, the water is nasty or something? It’s nothing a shower won’t take care of. Besides, if the water is gross enough that I wouldn’t want to get in, why would I put my kids in there? I didn’t get it. Once we got home Liam decided to have meltdown after meltdown for pretty much the rest of the evening. Every little thing seemed to set him off. Needless to say, it was some welcome silence once they went to bed (well, and once they stayed in bed – Zachary was up out of bed two times for completely unnecessary reasons).

One other funny thing from yesterday. The last couple of years when we’re watching an away UGA game (especially one with a 3:30 kickoff), we generally will just fix appetizer type stuff for dinner, and we’ll eat in the family room & watch the game. Yesterday Josh was flipping through the channels & saw that ESPN Classic was showing the 1981 Sugar Bowl, where UGA beat Notre Dame for the National Championship. Josh turned it on and Zachary got all excited: “Look! Georgia football is on TV! I think we need to make snacks for dinner & eat in the living room!” Ha ha…nice try.

No comments: