Friday, October 23, 2009

Liar Liar

It’s been a few days since my last post. Just when I think I’m on a roll, stuff happens and I forget. Or, it could also be that things are just a little boring right now.

Anyway, after a couple of crazy weeks in Zachary’s class (one teacher quitting out of the blue, and the other teacher being fired last week – leaving this week sort of crazy & up in the air), it looks like things will get back on track Monday, when the new staff officially takes over. Two of the “new” teachers have already been in there some, but the third teacher starts Monday, and hopefully things will begin to look organized again.

Last night I noticed Zachary had a bruise on his side. I asked him where it came from. He thought about it for a minute, and then this is roughly how his response went: “Um…well, Shea, um…no, Brayden…Brayden kicked me in the face.” ????? OK, so I asked him about a bruise on his side, and he tells me that another boy kicked him in the face. What is that about? There was no mark on his face – at all. Furthermore, while I know the teachers may not always see everything that goes on (little pushes here, hits there…), I do know that if one child kicked another in the face, the kickee would cry, drawing attention to the teacher, who would then ask who the kicker was, and incident reports would be written up for both parties. Since there was no report, and the teacher specifically told me that Zachary had a good day, I’m thinking there was no actual kick to the face. But he insisted that he was kicked in the face – like to the point that he almost had himself in tears trying to convince me that it happened. I really hate the feeling of letting my kids know that I don’t believe what they are saying – especially when I wasn’t there, and really don’t know what happened. He seemed genuinely upset that I didn’t believe him. But come on…kicked in the face? Someone please tell me that I’m not crazy for doubting his story when there was no mention of this from the teacher, there was no mark of any sort on his face, and there was no mention of this from Zachary until about 7:45 pm when I inquired about the bruise on his side. I just hate knowing that he is upset because I don’t believe him, but when he tells these crazy stories that just cannot possibly be true, I’m not sure what else to think – especially when he is accusing another child of hurting him in what I would consider to be a serious way.

I think I’m going to try to start a regular weekly theme on Sundays too – Hungry Sunday. Each week, I’ll post a recipe of some sort – something easy, or just really yummy that we’ve had, or something that we make on a regular basis. It might be a dinner or dessert. I’ve got some ideas to start, but if you have any suggestions for something you’d like to see, let me know & I’ll see what I can do!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Great idea for Hungry Sunday!!! Maybe if a bunch of us kind of do that (at least every now and again) we'd all get some great meal ideas :)

Anonymous said...

Poor Zachary. I guess it's the age??? Maybe he's dipping into his imagination? Trying to be a creative thinker? Love the Hungry Sunday idea! You know I'm a fan of any of your recipes. You're always so organized and this working mother of 2 needs all the help I can get!