Friday, January 22, 2010

Oooooohhhhh Fuuuuuuudddddgggggggge......

Only he didn’t say “fudge.” He said THE word. The F dash dash dash word.

That is THE most uncomfortable feeling, picking your child up from school & have one of his teachers tell you that your child said “f- - - it” today. And to make it worse, the incident report said something like “Please help us discourage the use of bad words at home.” Oh – you mean you DON’T want us teaching him to curse?? Hmmm…wish I had known sooner. I know for certain that Zachary has not heard that word from us. And thankfully, this lines up with the story he told the teacher. He said he heard it from a friend last year. Now, I’m not sure about the last year part (though he does have a crazy amazing memory). I asked him which friend, and was actually a little surprised. When Josh got home, I asked him to guess which friend he thought had told it to Zachary, and he named off about 6 other boys, who all would have been much more obvious guesses than the offending child. Turns out it was his little bromance buddy – the sweet kid who gives Zachary hugs at the end of the day & tells him he will miss him. What makes it even more puzzling is that this boy doesn’t even have older siblings (he IS the older sibling) – so he must have heard it from his parents, or at least one of them. So while I appreciate the teacher sending us an incident report asking us to help discourage the use of bad words, we already do. And in this case, there is absolutely nothing we could have done to prevent this. He learned it from a friend, and we had NO idea he even knew the word. We don’t even allow him to say words like “stupid” or “poopyhead”. So why in the world would we ever allow him to say the f-word?? It is not even like he has any idea what the word means. But now we look like bad parents because our child had potty-mouth at school thanks to another child. Very frustrating, to say the least.

On a lighter note, we have 9 days before our trip to Disneyworld! Everyone is getting SO excited! We are especially excited for Zachary because he is officially 40” tall now, so he will be able to ride a few new rides that he wasn’t tall enough for last time – Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Test Track, Soarin, Tower of Terror (!!!)…he’s still not tall enough for everything, but last time he really could only go on the rides with no height limits. So at least this time he will be able to ride some “big” rides, which Liam still can’t ride – that will probably make him feel really important.

Our new rug for Liam’s room arrived yesterday – it’s really coming together. I’m thinking that if we have had no issues with him in the bed after 5 nights, we’re probably good to go. When I went in this morning, he was just sitting up in bed, like he used to do in his crib. It’s so cute. He could climb out of bed by himself if he wanted to, but I’m so proud of him for just sitting there patiently for us. I know this won’t last forever, but it sure is nice for right now.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

After I saw your status on FB I've been wanting to read details on your blog!! That is really frustrating. I can't believe the teacher would write a note like that -- just assume that he learned it at home?? Is that other kid still in his class? Just wondering if you tried talking to his parents and what they said.

Rebecca said...

Yes, the boys is still in his class. I have not talked to his parents (although I suppose there is a possibility we may see one or both of them tomorrow at this birthday party for another boy). The weird thing is that the boy's mom is so mild-mannered, and anytime I've been around his dad, he hardly says a word. Who knows what they are like at home though. I'm not sure whether to say something or just leave it alone, because I'm thinking that the other boy will be in a different school next year (his mom once told me that they live in Cumming, so they aren't in the same school district as us). So we really only have to deal with it for the next few months I guess. I just hope he doesn't teach Zachary any other colorful words between now & then!

Tami said...

I love how you titled your post! I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. You said the boy always seems sweet, so unless there is another incident, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Just be careful not to give Zachary soap poisoning and make him go blind...Apparently, they will hang that over you for years.

What a great movie! :)

Meredith said...

Uh oh! I agree with Tami... love the title.

YAY for Liam doing well in a big boy bed.