Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Little Behind

I’m a little behind in sharing about my Valentine’s Day! I don’t have any pictures this time (sorry). It sort of started on Friday, when I got a call from the front desk that I had gotten flowers. I knew they were from Josh, but they were totally unexpected. The card didn’t even say anything about Valentine’s Day, so I assumed they were “just because” flowers. They were so pretty – white lilies & red roses…and they are still hanging in there pretty well! The day started with breakfast in bed for me! I have to give credit to both Josh AND Zachary on this one, because it was Josh’s idea to get up super early and drive all the way over to Woodstock (about 20 minutes each way) to get breakfast from Bojangles. If you know me, you know there is nothing I like more for breakfast than a Cajun filet chicken biscuit from Bojangles. I have even been known to attempt a u-turn in the middle of the road just for one of these biscuits. Not really – but I’ve come close. I knew he had gotten up early, but I thought that was just so he could run out to Kroger for bread & lunchmeat for lunch later in the day. But then, apparently Zachary had the brilliant idea to serve it to me in bed. He can definitely have his difficult moments, but then he comes up with such a sweet idea like that and you kind of forget about the difficult side of him (for a little while anyway). So it was pretty much heaven.

After breakfast we went to church, and then swimming lessons, where Liam almost choked on a Dum-Dum. The swimming teacher has a box of Dum-Dums that the kids can pick after their lesson. Liam has decided he is now big enough for a Dum-Dum, so we let him have one. He’s had them before, and was fine. Well, the problem with these Dum-Dums are that they sit in a pool area most of the time (very humid) and they have wet hands reaching in there all the time (even more wetness). So the Dum-Dums get kind of sticky, and are more prone to detaching from the stick. That is exactly what happened to Liam. I don’t know the specifics because I had gone to the bathroom to change clothes, but when I came back Josh told me that Liam’s Dum-Dum had come off the stick & gotten lodged in the back of his throat, and Liam had started to choke on it. Josh managed to fish around and pull it out, and Liam was OK. And then this other mom (whose daughter is in Liam’s class, and whose son is in Zachary’s class) proceeded to tell me about 5 or 6 times just how scary it was. I think I’m glad I wasn’t there to see that happen – I probably would have freaked out.

The rest of our day was pretty blah. We had to cancel our dinner reservation since our babysitters got snowed in. But that was fine – we’d probably rather go on a non-holiday anyway, because it will probably be less crowded.

Then Monday we celebrated Liam’s actual birthday. The boys’ school was closed, and Josh had a company holiday. I decided I was going to use a vacation day so I could spend an extra day with my boys. We didn’t do a whole lot – just sort of hung around the house. I headed out to Just for Giggles while the boys were napping so I could start working on the fire truck painting I’m making for Liam’s room. I hope to have that finished very soon, and once I do, I’ll post the before & after pics of his room! We decided to head to Outback for dinner (since we had a gift card). Josh told our server that it was Liam’s birthday. Now, I am not a huge fan of restaurant birthday displays. In fact, ask my mom about the time I crawled under the table when I was little due to a rousing, obnoxious birthday display at a restaurant. But, Outback’s deal is pretty tame compared to most, so it wasn’t too bad (although Liam looked the other way while they sang – I don’t think he really liked it). The best part was the birthday dessert they brought. It was basically a scoop of vanilla ice cream with hot fudge & whipped cream – but it was the biggest scoop of ice cream I’ve seen in a very long time. All 4 of us shared it, and it was the perfect amount. Then on the way home I said, “Hey – we never sang Happy Birthday to Liam today!” So Josh & I sang to him in the car on the way home (Zachary refused, since the Outback people had already sung to him). When we finished, Liam said, “Again happy birthday!” So we sang it again. Then Liam said, “Last time happy birthday!” So we sang it again.

It was a fun weekend – and the day off on Monday was just what we needed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Josh with the flowers! Sounds like Liam had a great birthday; he's so grown-up now!