Zachary was his class Super Star this week. Apparently there are all kinds of perks to being the Super Star: you get to bring show & tell every day (normally it's just Friday), you get to be the one to go get the lunch tickets every day, and you get to have your parents come eat lunch with you one day. And you are allowed to send in a special snack to share with the class that starts with the letter ofthe week. This is optional, but since the letter this past week was "T", we figured that was easy enough, so we sent in Triscuits and some cherry tomatoes. You also have to make a poster that is all about you. Here is Zachary's poster:
We chose Friday as the day to go have lunch with him. We thought it would be fun to do it on my birthday. We arrived at the school and discovered that apparently the kindergarten classes are the last ones to eat. Weird. Anyway, I think we figured out that we know kids in 4 of the 6 kindergarten classes at the school (including Zachary's class), and we saw those other 3 classes head into the cafeteria as we waited for Zachary's class. I felt a little bit like a celebrity, because all the kids we know waved at us when they saw us. I love the fact that even though it's a new school, Zachary already knew so many kids there. Finally Zachary's class arrived so we walked in with them and got in line for food. Normally we send Zachary with a lunch from home every day but we thought we'd let him buy a school lunch when we came, since we'd be buying a lunch too. It was definitely exciting for him, but I think we'll keep sending the lunchbox for the time being.
Here's Zachary & me eating our cheese pizza.
After lunch, his teacher invited us back to the classroom for a little bit. We got to sit at the front of the class with Zachary, while the other kids interviewed him. They raised their hands, and Zachary would call on them one at a time to ask him a question. I can't remember all of them, but here are some of the questions, and Zachary's answer - they were cute.
What is your favorite junk food? Cake
What is your favorite football team? Georgia Bulldogs [note: he had on a Georgia Bulldogs t-shirt]
What is your favorite sport? Football - I watch it all the time on TV
What is your favorite video game? I like the swordfighting game on the Wii
What is your favorite car? Race car
What is your favorite dinosaur? T-Rex
What is your favorite fish? Shark - actually trout. Once when I was in pre-k we went trout fishing on a field trip, and I caught a trout. They chopped the head off, and I brought it home and my daddy cooked it, and then we ate it for dinner!
What is your favorite color? Green
What is your favorite animal? Dog
What is your favorite TV show? I have 2 - Special Agent Oso and Cat in the Hat
What is your favorite movie? I have 2 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Star Wars
After the interview was over, we got to read a couple of books to the class. He has a really cute class. They were so good during the interview, raising their hands, and interjecting where they agreed or when they felt like they already knew his answer. And then they were so attentive during the story. It's probably not like that every day, but it was cute.
So his time as Super Star is officially over, however, after dinner last night he announced that he thought he had a loose tooth. Hehas said that a couple of other times before (and the tooth wasn't loose) so we weren't sure. Since loose teeth gross me out so much I couldn't check - but Josh could, and confirmed that it was, in fact, loose. We cautioned him to just leave it alone, that the tooth would come out when it was ready. I figured it would be several days, maybe even a week? He decided that he needed to rest, you know, for the tooth. I laughed, because we couldn't really get him to rest when he had the 4 staples in his head, but the loose tooth was a reason to rest. So this morning Josh & the boys brought me breakfast in bed (a belated birthday treat). I was eating upstairs while they were eating in the kitchen when I heard commotion - apparently the tooth came out while he was eating breakfast. This was maybe 13 hours after discovering that it was loose. I seriously thought it would take longer than that - I wasn't prepared! A while back I decided to order a little tooth holder for when the day did come, but it's on backorder until the end of this month. But then I remembered that when he was first born Josh's mom gave us these 2 silver boxes - one said "First Curl" and the other one said "First Tooth". So after a day of telling anyone & everyone who would stop long enough to listen about his tooth, we put it in the little box next to his bed, and the Tooth Fairy will be making her first visit to the Cahill house. Zachary wanted to put it under his pillow, but we were trying to convince him to just put it on the shelf next to his bed, and here's the conversation:
Me: I think we should just put the tooth next to your bed.
Zachary: But it goes under the pillow.
Me: But what happens if you move around a lot and the Tooth Fairy can't find it?
Zachary: Well, fairies can light up.
Me: But what if she doesn't want to light up too much? The light might wake you up. Plus, what happens if the tooth falls on the floor under your bed?
Zachary: Fairies are really small - she can fit.
Obviously he has thought this thing through. When it was all said and done (after briefly losing the tooth on the floor in the foyer), the tooth is inside the box, next to his bed. Here is our big boy, complete with his new little hole:
We had dinner at my mom's house tonight, and as we left dinner, my mom pulled her wallet out. She told Zachary that anytime he loses a tooth, she's going to give him $1. Between her and the Tooth Fairy, he's going to come out alright.
September Quotes
2 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment