Thursday, November 18, 2010

One Little, Two Little, Three Little Indians

Today Josh & I got to visit Zachary's class for a little bit in the morning for their Thanksgiving feast.  The kids got to choose whether they wanted to dress up as an Indian or a Pilgrim.  They had made their little costumes, and put them on when we all got there.  The morning started off with his teacher, Mrs. Jones, quizzing them about the first Thanksgiving (who was there, where did the Pilgrims come from, how did they get here, why did they leave England, where did they arrive when they got here, what state is Plymouth Rock in, what is another word for "Indians", etc.)  It was very impressive to see that most hands were raised for every question!


After quiz time, they sang a few songs.  It was so stinking cute.  The Indian costumes had the headdress, and for the boys it also had what was meant to look like a holder for arrows.  The Indian girls had a little papoose on their backs!  OMG it was adorable!  I almost lost it a couple of times while they were singing - I mean, I guess what with political correctness and all, I just asumed they could not still sing these kinds of songs in public schools anymore. Who knew!  Here are a couple of videos of the singing - they did such a good job!








After they were done singing, it was time for the feast!  Each child had been asked to bring in something for the feast - we were assigned to bring popcorn.  The feast consisted of deli turkey, carrot slices, apple cider, grapes, popcorn, pumpkin bread (which they apparently all helped to make yesterday), brownies, and Oreos.  I had commpletely forgotten that the Pilgrims & Indians ate Oreos at the first Thanksgiving!







Zachary absolutely went to town on the feast.  I think he had seconds of everything but the carrots & turkey - and that was probably mostly because those weren't being "pushed" as hard as the other stuff was.  I told his teacher that everything was just so cute, and she laughed and said this is why she has stayed in kindergarten all these years.  On a day like this, I can't say that I blame her.




It was so very cute, and I'm glad we got to go & watch.

No comments: