Today was field day for K-2 at Zachary's school. I had decided a couple of weeks ago to take the day off so I could go help out. I haven't been able to do as much with his class this year as I would have liked, so I figured this was probably my last opportunity to do something for this school year.
I arrived at school around 7:45 this morning, and signed up to work at the "Modern Pentathlon", which, ironically, only had 4 components to it...Anyway, I picked that mainly because I already knew the one other person who had signed up for it, & I figured it would be more enjoyable to stand out there all day with someone I knew I could talk to. At 8:00 we headed out to the back field behind the school for the Opening Ceremonies. Each class was assigned a country, and all the classes in the school paraded out in their class country shirts & country flag. Zachary's class was Costa Rica.
After the opening ceremonies, the kids went back to the classrooms for a short while. The games started at 9:00, but it was after lunchtime before Zachary's class made it around to the Modern Pentathlon station (apparently there were 20 different stations, and I think they were hitting them all!)
Since there were no other classes coming to my station after Zachary's class left, I was able to follow Zachary's class to their last few events, which was nice since I hadn't been able to watch anything else all day. After the Modern Pentathlon came the Torch Relay.
Next was Around the World.
And finally I got to watch him do the egg in spoon thing (not sure if this one had a fancy name or not).
They wrapped up the day around 1:00 - whew! I was hot & tired by the time it was all over. But it was a fun day & this is one I'm going to make a point to attend every year.
September Quotes
2 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment