Monday, October 3, 2011

Bulldogs vs. Bulldogs

Saturday was my birthday – I turned 26 or 30, depending on who you ask. Neither of those is correct, but we’ll stick with 30. It doesn’t happen very often, but there was actually a home UGA football game on my birthday this year. My birthday is in the middle of football season, but typically when it’s on a Saturday the game is away. And the last time I can remember being at a game on my birthday was my freshman year at UGA. The game was actually at Alabama, and Georgia lost at the very end. It was heartbreaking, and to make matters worse, some bozo threw his Jack & Coke – a full cup of it, mind you – and it spilled all over me. That was a fun ride home on the Redcoat bus. I was tired, sticky, and sad from the loss, and when I got back to my dorm, one of my friends from high school had gathered a few other friends in my room for a surprise party. It must have been 2 or 3 in the morning – I was in no mood to party. She got mad. That was that.

But this time, I did want to party. Only, our stupid crappy record keeps getting us these stupid crappy kickoff times. Noon – seriously. You can’t do much partying before noon. Maybe they are on to something…Anyway, so we took the boys with us again. I really do think that Zachary is starting to enjoy going. He high fives people when we score and gets excited when there is a good play. Liam, on the other hand, isn’t there yet. He has hit that stage where he really doesn’t nap much anymore, yet he still very much needs a nap. So typically by the time the game starts, he’s tired & crabby, but he’s also big enough now that he can’t really take a good nap at the game. In addition, I think the boys each have a tapeworm. We feed them, and they are hungry. We feed them more, and they are still hungry. It’s like “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” come to life. After they had eaten their lunch, I decided to go up & get a couple of pretzels to see if that would hold them for a while. Liam insisted on coming with me. We get through the line, and I got the pretzels. He immediately started trying to grab them, so I broke off a piece & handed it to him. Apparently that was the wrong answer, because he took that pretzel, snatched it out of my hand, threw it on the ground, and then threw himself on the ground. Right there in the concession line. I just kind of stood there for a second, waiting to see what he would do next, when this man came running over asking Liam if he was OK. Sucker. I told the man that he was fine, that he had thrown himself down on purpose. The man looked a little confused, then walked away. I had to carry him all the way back to our seats, because he had no intention of walking on his own. When we finally made it back to the seats, he turned around & took off again. That boy is a HOT MESS. I know he had not been feeling well, but I’m pretty sure that’s no excuse for running away. Just sayin’. Despite his please to leave since the game began, we managed to stick it out for 3 full quarters. We left just into the 4th. It wasn’t their best effort, but wasn’t their worst, either. I give it another year, maybe 2, and hopefully he’ll be right there high fiving with the rest of us.

And because someone was being so clingy & whiny, I never even got my camera out this game.

No comments: