Monday, June 2, 2014

Winding Down the School Year – Part 2

That last week of school was kind of crazy, with K-2 field day getting moved to Monday of the last week.  Then the class parties were on Thursday, 5/22.  At the beginning of the school year, I had signed up to help in both boys’ parties.  For the winter parties, it worked out because they were back-to-back.  But this time, they started 15 minutes apart.  So unfortunately, I couldn't be at all of both parties – I had to leave Zachary’s early and arrive a little late for Liam’s.  It worked out though.

The morning started off with an Author’s Party in Zachary’s class.  The 3rd graders put together a literary magazine, consisting of poems and paragraphs written by each child.  Then they type them up, illustrate them, and bind them into a nice little book to keep.  At the Author’s Party, each child stands up in front of the class and parents and reads his/her selections.  They did this when Zachary was in kindergarten and first grade, but they didn't have one last year (and Liam’s class didn't do anything like this either).  Zachary did a nice job reading his poems that he wrote.



The Author’s Party was followed by their end of year party.  The room mom had decided that an ice cream sundae bar would be a fun idea.  The kids stuffed themselves with ice cream while they watched the photo video that I had made (I made it because Zachary’s teacher began hinting that she would like one – I had never made one before, nor had I planned on making one, but once she started hinting, I figured I should make one, and she LOVED it).  Then one of the girls in the class presented Mrs. Nielsen with a blanket she made, that had all the kids’ names on it, written in everyone’s favorite color.  It was such a sweet gift, and Mrs. Nielsen was truly touched (I think she was a little more sappy than usual because she & her family are moving to Indonesia for a year, so this was her last class at the school – I think she was a tiny bit emotional!)






Unfortunately I had to miss the games – but I think they blew cups across the desks using just a straw, and they also had to eat donuts dangling from string – that’s always good and messy (and a great follow-up to ice cream!).  They also made sponge balls as their craft – such a cute idea!

When I got to Liam’s party, they were already sitting down eating their party snacks.  I wasn't there too long before they started to clean up from the food and get ready for the craft and games.  In Liam’s class they had limbo, sight word Bingo, and they decorated picture frames for their craft.  They had such a fun time too.  It was so weird being in there on the next to last day of school, because I remember going into that classroom back in August for his first day, and it didn't seem possible that 9 months had passed since that first day.






When Zachary started kindergarten at CCES, he went there with 3 or 4 really good friends whom he had known since they were all about 2 (and are still his best friends to this day).  Liam didn't have that, but he made some good friends this year.  Hopefully some of them will stick, and they will remain good friends, even if they aren't in the same class next year.

No comments: