Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fun at the Doctor

Yesterday I took Liam to the pediatrician for his 6 month checkup. At all of his previous checkups, he has been within about 2-3 oz of Zachary’s weight and ¼ inch of Zachary’s height at the same age. Well, I think Liam has had a growth spurt in the last 2 months. He weighed 5 oz more than Zachary did at 6 months, and was over an inch longer! So now I’m wondering if one day he will be Zachary’s “big” little brother?

While we were waiting for the doctor (which has taken FOREVER the last few times we’ve been), Liam decided it would be fun to eat the paper that they put on the table. He was sitting up on the table, facing the mirror, and having a good time. Then he started shredding the paper. He had paper in both hands, and would put one handful of paper up to his mouth to eat it. As I was pulling his hand away, he’d put the other hand up. As I was pulling that hand down, he’d put the other hand up. You get how it went. We did that for about 5 minutes – I was cracking up. After a few minutes he had torn up all the paper except what he was sitting on – it was a little paper island in the middle of the exam table. So I wadded up the torn up paper & threw it away. Then I picked him up, and pulled the paper back to the end of the table so there was a fresh piece for him to sit on (I was also afraid that the doctor would come in and see the paper all torn up – I’m sure they’ve seen it before, but it was still a little embarrassing). You should have seen the look on Liam’s face when I sat him down on the fresh piece. It was like Christmas (or maybe just feeding time, since he hasn’t had a Christmas yet). He proceeded to rip the new piece all up until all that was left was the paper island he was sitting on again. By that point, I was literally tired from trying to keep paper out of his mouth, so I threw away the paper shreds, pulled a fresh piece of paper down, and we sat in one of the chairs, away from the paper. The rest of the appointment went well – he was so brave during his shots.

After we were done, I went to pick Zachary up. I had hoped to go home and put Liam down for a little nap & get some work done, but it was about 4:45 when we left (our appointment was at 3:00!!!). When I got to Zachary’s class, I asked him to use the potty before we left. While he was in the potty, this little twerp (I think his name is Peyton – go figure…I hate Tennessee…) came over with a silicone ice cube tray thing. Next thing I knew, he had thrown it at Liam! I asked him to please not throw things at the baby (and the afternoon “teacher” never said anything! I couldn’t believe it!). Well, Liam started crying, and Peyton says, “Hey, why is the baby crying?” Ugh. I felt it would be REALLY inappropriate to tell someone else’s kid that the baby is crying because you made him cry, so I just told him that he was crying because he got poked at the doctor and didn’t feel well. By this point, all the kids had gathered around, and here’s what happened:
Peyton: When I go to the doctor, I get eggs!
Me: That’s interesting. I’ve never heard of that.
Madeline: When I go to the doctor, I don’t get eggs – I only get eggs at home.
Me: Yeah, me too.
Peyton: What’s the baby’s name?
Me: His name is Liam.
Shea: Mary had a little lamb!!!
Me: Right……
Madeline: My Liam is name Liam too! (note: she meant to say that her brother is named Liam too, but it came out as my Liam is name Liam too)
Me: I know – you and Zachary both have brothers named Liam.
Madeline: What’s that on his legs?
Me: Band-Aids. He got 3 pokes at the doctor today.
Madeline: I’m three now!
John McCall: He has cute toes!

Aaaaahhhhh kids. Gotta love ‘em.

2 comments:

Mel said...

as usual, that made me laugh...i love the kids conversation!

Merri said...

Luke did very similar things with the paper on the table at his 6 months appointment and the doctor told me that is what they look for in normal 6 month olds! She said if they tear up the paper then they are developmentally on track! I was so excited :-)