Friday, August 22, 2008

Peach Cobbler Update!

So…yes, it IS actually an allergy to PEACH COBBLER!! Can you believe it?? The assistant teacher in Zachary’s class was there when I dropped him off this morning so I asked her about it. She said that is exactly what the child’s parents wrote on the form. She said she had been meaning to ask the parents about that, because they do serve peaches for snack sometimes, and she said she’s pretty sure that the child eats them – so it doesn’t seem like it’s a peach allergy. It’s peach cobbler. I asked her what about other kinds of cobbler. She seemed as confused as I was. I guess when your child has a food allergy of any kind you have to be careful. BUT…is peach cobbler really something they have to worry about? It would be like a child having an allergy to, say, caviar, and letting the school know about it. I guess it’s better to be safe than sorry, but it just still seems so odd to me. If it is a nut thing (like nuts in the topping), then why not other kinds of cobbler? And wouldn’t the “no peanut products” thing cover that? I think when people see “no peanut products” they kind of tend to avoid all nuts, but I don’t know…it’s all very confusing. All I know is that I actually feel more sorry for the kid in the next class up who has a chocolate allergy. I can’t say I’d be too upset if I found out I was allergic to peach cobbler, but things would be BAD if I found out I was allergic to chocolate.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Yeah, I think that the teacher needs to find out more details....I don't make cobblers but I would think that ingredients that are in the cobbler would also be in other things..except the peaches maybe which the kid might eat. Does the combo and the baking produce something the kid is allergic to? It all seems strange..almost like a joke the parents wrote down and now can't admit it or something.

Being allergic to chocolate would be sad!

Meredith said...

Okay, that's just weird.

That's like saying someone is allergic to cake... or chocolate chip cookies... I can understand wheat, or flour... but cobbler? BIZARRE!

Carrie Davis said...

Thanks for getting the low down! A little odd for sure.