Last night Zachary told me he wanted to sing me a song called “Mommy.” I got all excited because he’s never made up a song about me before, and I figured it was going to be good. He started off on his song (clearly making it up entirely as he went along). The first line was something about how Mommy is a nice girl…then the song took an unexpected turn. Next thing I know he’s singing about Santa and Daddy and toys and men…He finished and asked me what I thought. I was stunned. I said, “But I thought you were going to sing a song about Mommy – that was about Santa and Daddy and men…there wasn’t much Mommy in that Mommy song!” Meanwhile Josh was in the kitchen laughing hysterically and saying there was absolutely nothing wrong with the song. I begged to differ. You can’t call a song “Mommy” and then not actually include any Mommy in the song. It’s just not right. Zachary agreed to sing a new Mommy song, and that time the song was actually more about Mommy (although he launched into something towards the end of the song about how the big brother might sometimes do bad things – but that seemed like more of an afterthought, so I overlooked it).
I also need some advice. Last week on Friday I asked my boss if I could change my schedule from 8-5 to 7:30-4:30 (I had a good reason, which I won’t bore you with – but I did explain it to him). He said he didn’t have a problem with it, but he wanted to ask his boss first just to make sure, and she wasn’t in the office that day. He said she’d be back on Monday. On Monday afternoon after our weekly team meeting, I asked him if he’d had a chance to talk to his boss yet, and he said he hadn’t, but that he would get to it. OK, so here it is now Wednesday and he still hasn’t asked her yet. I know she has been around because she walks by my desk several times a day (not necessarily to talk to me, but just because she has to pass by on her way to other places). So it’s not that she hasn’t been around or that she has been unavailable – he just hasn’t done it yet. I could have asked her at least 7 times, but it’s not my place since my boss was the one who wanted to ask her. How long should I wait before I ask him about it again? I mean, I followed up on Monday…I felt it would be too pushy to follow up with him again yesterday, and maybe even today. But I worry that if I don’t say anything again at all, that at some point he will just forget. Anyone have any advice? Oh, and I don’t know if it makes a difference that the schedule change doesn’t just affect me – it also impacts Josh (he’d be changing to a slightly later schedule, as requested by his boss – so basically, he can’t accommodate his boss, unless my boss can accommodate me…).
September Quotes
2 months ago
3 comments:
If you haven't heard by Friday, I would go to your boss and explain that your husband's job is waiting on your switching schedules and was wondering what you needed to do to get the ball rolling. I hate it when bosses take forever to do stuff.
If other people are waiting, I would ask again early tomorrow. Then it would be something fresh on his plate for today that should be fairly easy to cross off.
I love that he sang you a sweet mommy song. Josh laughing in the background sounds a lot like Matt.
I would ask again in the afternoon on Thursday...that way he has Thursday or Friday to ask....or do it Friday morning first thing and say you were hoping to get it resolved before the weekend. If you wait until too late on Friday he won't do and he will forget to do it on Monday.....good luck. I hate when bosses do that!
Post a Comment