Yesterday we decided to take a walk in the afternoon since it was nice out & the rain hadn’t moved in yet. As we walked out the front door, I noticed some pine straw near the top of one of the pillars of our front porch. When we got back from the walk, Josh got his ladder out & climbed up to see – it was a nest, but no eggs or anything in it. Since there were no eggs inside, we decided to move it (we weren’t sure we wanted birds making a home in the top of our porch, but had there been eggs there, we would have left it alone). This is the first time any of us had seen a nest up close. They are amazing! I would love to watch some sped-up video of a bird making a nest just to see how they do it because all the pine straw and grass was all woven together such that it held its perfect little nest shape when Josh moved it – nothing was falling off that nest. But the other really interesting thing about this nest is the other materials the bird used to construct it. We peered inside the nest and saw fibers from our carpet had been woven in! As you know, we had new carpet put in last month, and they did all the cutting in the driveway. This left a bunch of fibers all over the driveway that we figured that wind & rain would eventually take care of. We never thought that birds might use it in their nests. We also saw dryer lint and some of Herschel’s fur used in the nest construction. It was really quite amazing. Once we had finished admiring it, Josh, with the assistance of our next-door neighbor, placed the nest in one of the trees in our front yard. Seemed like a more suitable place for a nest to be anyway. We’ll see if any birds decide to make it their home now.
September Quotes
2 months ago
2 comments:
wow, that is amazing! I bet you could find a video on youtube of a nest being built. I guarantee someone out there had nothing better to do...if I think about it I will look for you.
ah, sweet! Gotta love nature!
Post a Comment