Tuesday, April 28, 2009

T-Ball Party Drama

At the first t-ball game, our type-A team mom (wife of our MIA head coach – see post below…) walked around with a notepad & pen taking all the moms’ names and their preference for either snacks after a game or be on the party committee. I told her I’d do whatever she needed, so she put me down for the party. Even though at the time the party was still 4 weeks away, I thought I’d draft an email to the other party moms to get the ball rolling. Sent the email out just over a week ago, and basically went ahead & volunteered myself to make cupcakes (hey, I need SOMETHING to put in my awesome new triple-decker cupcake carrier that I bought & is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow…). I asked the other moms if anyone else had any ideas, and then I threw out some suggestions for other types of food. The party is really no big deal – type-A team mom decided we should just have it at the school after the last game. Nothing says party like sandwiches & cupcakes on a school playground at 10am! Fine – she’s obviously done this before, so I won’t argue. So far I’ve gotten one reply back. It’s from the mom of the kid who won’t stay on the field for more than 5 minutes each week, and she basically said for me to tell her what to bring. Are you kidding? I’m all for delegating tasks at home, and even at work, when appropriate (I learned a long time ago that your boss usually doesn’t like it when you delegate work to them!) but these are people I hardly know. I don’t know what kind of free time they have, or if they prefer to prepare something vs. just pick up juice boxes & call it a day. I need to find a tactful way to let this lady know that I’m not necessarily interested in dictating what each person should do. And then I need to find a tactful way to light a fire under the other moms! I know the party is still 2 & ½ weeks away, but I don’t want this thing thrown together at the last minute – even if it’s not fancy. I guess I’m just used to all those wedding & baby showers I’ve helped host over the years – we each seem to have our own food specialties and after a while everyone just seemed to know what to do without too much discussion.

In the meantime, Liam continues to prepare for the day that he too will be able to play t-ball. He practices every night by throwing his sippy cup off of his high chair (our server at Sticky Fingers on Sunday even commented on how good of an arm he has). After he throws his cup off, he moves on to his food. This is all new for us. Zachary never threw food – he was too busy eating it! Liam now seems incapable of making it through a meal without having to be wheeled outside afterwards to be dusted off and to shake out his high chair. Every night as I sit there finishing my dinner, I always get nailed with something – piece of chicken, green bean, noodle…Liam thinks it’s great fun. Herschel thinks it’s great fun. Josh & I do not think it’s great fun.

Tonight I’m going back to the art studio where I went last month for that girl’s night. I decided I want to make some more to put in our foyer, so this will be the first one. I’m going with a friend who used to live on our street (they didn’t move far) – her son Cameron is Zachary’s little buddy. I’m looking forward to it & hope that this one turns out as good as I think my last one did. I’ll try to post a picture of my masterpiece soon – and maybe even show you what it was supposed to look like for comparison.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Think of a super complicated recipe and tell that slacker mom that she needs to make that....she will quickly think of something else :-) Nah, that is too mean....hmmm. Maybe make a list with some hard and easy things and send another email out and then maybe people will reply because they want the easy things?? I don't know...it is really hard to get people to respond..I have that issue all the time with my photography clients..I send emails out weeks in advance but they wait until the week before and then get upset that the time they want isn't still available.

m said...

I would definitely come up with a rough menu and send it out asking everyone to sign up (drinks, side, sandwiches, fruit, cupcakes (with your name already beside), etc). People who care will sign up quick for something they want to make and people who do not will take what is left and make it as easy/difficult as they want. It has seemed to work out pretty well for us at school when our class has to bring lunch for all the teachers at the school.

Meredith said...

I agree with Meghan.. send out a rough menu and have them sign up for what they want.