Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pirate Party

Our vacation destination, Fripp Island, has a history with pirates way back in the day. It is named after Captain John Fripp, a British soldier charged with protecting the island from Spanish pirates. Anyone who has ever met Josh’s dad knows that he LOVES to tell stories. Sometimes the stories are (mostly) true, and sometimes there is absolutely no truth to them whatsoever (and it’s up to the listener to figure out which one it is!). Apparently one day while they were out in the ocean together he was telling Zachary all about the pirates that used to be on Fripp Island. Zachary got very interested in the story, and as soon as I joined them in the water, he informed me that his next birthday party is going to be a pirate party. Now, anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE to plan ahead. But I never thought we’d be planning a birthday party 11 months in advance! I mean, the superhero party is just now one month old! Fast forward to yesterday…I was picking the boys up from school, and found 2 envelopes in Zachary’s folder. When we got home, I opened them up to find 2 birthday party invitations. One was for his buddy Cameron (a cowboy party) and the other one was for his friend Peyton, who is having a pirate party. I said, “Hey Zachary! Look at this – Peyton is having a pirate party!” Zachary replied, “Me too!” I just had to laugh – I mean, it has not been quite a week yet since he decided on the pirate theme, but I give him credit for sticking with it so far. If there is one thing about Zachary it is that he is not flaky (translation: he is stubborn). Once he gets something in his head, it is hard to get him to budge. So maybe he & I can get some ideas from Peyton’s pirate party in the event that he still wants that theme come next April when it’s time to start planning his birthday. Oh, and he also decided about 2 months ago that he is going to be Batman for Halloween this year (this was only after he originally said he wanted to be Spiderman – again – and we told him that since he was Spiderman last year he needed to choose a different costume this year…you can’t be Spiderman every year). We’ll keep you updated on the status of that as we get closer to Halloween.

No comments: