Tuesday, July 9, 2013

June in Review

So it’s been over a month since my last post.  Just when I think I’m doing pretty good, I discover an unintended absence.  June wasn't terribly busy for us, which was nice.  We had the tail-end of Zachary’s sleepover birthday party on the first.  Zachary went to a couple of other birthday parties – one for his friend William at William’s house (they just put a pool in their back yard last fall, so it was a pool party), and one for his friend Brandon at Sky Zone.  We spent Father’s Day at Six Flags – and would you believe that I did not take a single picture??  Not even one with my phone.  Crazy, I tell you.  We had fun, I guess, but apparently Father’s Day is a terrible day to go to Six Flags – because EVERYONE goes to Six Flags on Father’s Day.  We didn't get to ride very many rides at all, and Liam basically pooped out a few hours into the day and became a tired, cranky mess.  We didn't stay very long, which is unfortunate, considering how much a day there for a family of four costs now.



The kids also attended Kingdom Rock VBS at our church for the second year.  My mom was planning to take them, and volunteer, last year, but the broken kneecap took her out of it.  But with no injuries sustained this year, she was able to volunteer, and spend the whole week with them.  I think they had fun, but I think she was also a little bit over them by the end of the week.  They are at a stage now, where they can hardly be in the same room together for more than 10-15 minutes without some sort of scuffle taking place.  They just love to push each other’s buttons.  It’s awesome.



During VBS week Josh & I got to go on an early anniversary dinner (apparently we did everything early this year – took our trip, exchanged gifts, went to dinner, etc.).  We had a gift card for the Buckhead Diner, so we went there.  It was tasty as always.  We also went to the Family Fun Night at church that they always do during VBS week.  It wasn't so much fun this year.  It was really hot, and they didn't really have much to do.  They had some fire trucks (which apparently my kids are too cool for now), and food, and then a concert (which nobody was interested in).  And then on our actual anniversary (the big 10!) we packed the car for the beach.  I’ll do a separate post about the beach.




But the other big news from June was I got a new car!  After driving “Bert”, my red Jeep Liberty (aka the Georgia-mobile) for 9.5 years, it was time to trade it in.  Bert had passed 100K miles, and Jeeps are known to start having transmission issues after 100K.  So once I passed that mark on the odometer, I felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb.  The windshield wiper motor going (a $300 repair) was the last straw.  So we said goodbye to Bert, and hello to “Lanny”, my new silver 2013 Toyota Highlander.  So far I’m loving it!  I hadn't really intended on getting anything much bigger than the Liberty.  The Highlander is a good bit bigger, but it will likely become our primary car now, as Josh’s car has also recently passed 100K.  So it will be nice to give his car a little break from long road trips.


(Somehow I haven't taken a picture of Lanny yet, but he only had 22 miles when I drove him off the lot!)

No comments: