Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Going to the Garden with John McCall's Girlfriend

Yesterday I was able to pick the guys up from school. Almost my whole department went to play Whirlyball (I didn’t want to play, and didn’t feel like paying $15 just to watch others play, so I stayed at work), so I was able to leave a little early. When I got to Zachary’s class, the first thing I did was make him use the potty before we left. So he goes into the bathroom, and about a minute later I hear, “Hey Mommy! Watch this!” Uh oh. This can’t be good. I walk into the bathroom, and Zachary is standing by one of the toilets, with his neck through the toilet seat opening (it’s one of those u-shaped seats) and his head poking up through the hole. He is also bent almost completely over the toilet bowl. Nice. He then turns his head around and says, “Is this yucky?” Um, yeah. Yucky. Once Zachary climbed out of the toilet, we go get Liam, and head back to the car. Once we were on our way home, here is how the conversation unfolded:

Z: Shea’s sister came to school on a bus! (Note: his school picks kids up from a few local elementary schools in the afternoon. Shea is a boy in his class.)
Me: Oh cool. Did she start kindergarten?
Z: No. She went to the garden.
Me: Are you sure it wasn’t kindergarten?
Z: Yeah…
Me: Well you know who else started in kindergarten today? Kira’s sister Kylie. (Note: Kira is one of his good little friends)
Z: Yeah! Just like Lindsay!
Me: Who is Lindsay?
Z: Lindsay is John McCall’s girlfriend. (Note: John McCall is another boy in his class, who he always refers to by his full name – John McCall – never just John)
Me: Do you mean Lindsay is John McCall’s sister?
Z: No – his girlfriend.

So apparently John McCall has a girlfriend (and one that is about 2 years older than him, no less). Who knew. Personally, I think 3 is a little young for that, but whatever. John McCall is actually a pretty funny kid, whether he intends to be or not. I think Zachary is his best friend because a lot of the times when I pick him up, John McCall will run over and make a point to tell Zachary bye, or give him a hug. Last week I had to pick Zachary up a little early on Thursday to take him to the doctor, and as we were leaving, John McCall came over and said, “Zachary – you’re not leaving me, are you??” It was cute. Slightly weird, but cute.

Now, some observations from the Olympics. Has anyone caught synchronized diving? I love it! We saw the women first and it was amazing. I wondered if they would have men doing synchronized diving too – thought it would be a little weird, but sure enough, the men were doing it too! I’m finding it interesting that they seem to be making a point to sort of pit the US against China when possible (like, all through the women’s gymnastics stuff on Sunday they kept showing the US average score vs. China’s average score on each apparatus – they weren’t comparing US & China average scores to any other countries…). I also find it interesting that in areas where China doesn’t excel, they are either coming to the US to train or at least hiring American coaches (apparently a bunch of them moved to San Diego the last few years to learn how to play beach volleyball). Likewise, in areas the US isn’t so good at, we’re bringing in Chinese coaches (such as diving). And my last thought on the Olympics…I love women’s gymnastics. For whatever reason you are normally considered washed up in that sport by the time you hit 21, 22, 23…however, we saw the other night that Germany has a female gymnast who is 33 – that is older than me!!! They said she was on the 1992 Unified team (all the former Soviet republics) in the Olympics. I mean, most of the current female gymnasts were not even born yet back then! Josh said he was inspired by her. Whatever – he just wanted to make me feel bad for thinking that this lady was really old to be out there competing against girls half her age. What do yall think about China faking parts of the opening ceremonies (such as the fireworks footprints and the little girl singing)? They were amazing - don't get me wrong, but I just wonder why they weren't up front about it to start with.

5 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

You didn't go play whirlyball? It is so freaking fun :) Supposedly Judd is a master at it. I would have skipped it to spend more time with Charlotte, though. I watched mens syncro diving last night...I won't tell you want Judd's comment about that was..I loved it, though. I didn't know they faked parts..i'll have to google that.

m said...

The faked parts are pretty bad. The ceremony was amazing and it is sad that this is now coming out and casting a shadow on it. Would have been better if they had just been upfront.

Whirlyball sounds interesting. I like the description of "totally mechanized team sport".

Mel said...

I didn't know they faked either. I also heard that China purposefully went out to try to find events that they didn't medal in before and tried to get teams in those sports..the commentators were talking about it and how they were trying to beat the US in medal count adn you know that because they are the host country they automatically get teams into the sports so maybe that is why they are comparing the two. I also like how when the commentators say that there is no way (like Phelps relay the other day and the men's gymnastics without the good guys) the are always wrong. Missed the syncro diving...I was instructed to watch the Packers first game.....it was fun to see Lumpkin (from UGA) score a touchdown....Craig was proud he knew who he was, but I was flipping back and forth.

Meredith said...

Okay- first... YUCKY!

Second- Hilarious! I've been helping lots of "gardeners" this week... they're so cute!

Third- the diving is WAY cool! Didn't know they faked parts of the ceremony... WEIRD! Doesn't it seem too though that China and the US always seem to be ranked 1 and 2? GO WOMEN'S GYMNASTICS Tonight!!!

Drena said...

I have loved the olympics! I watch it all the time! I really like the swimming but have enjoyed the others too. I haven't watched the opening yet...still on DVR.

I read Bruce Jenner's book and heard him speak a while back and I think it has been common since when he was an Olympian for the athletes to move to whatever area is the best at that sport. He mentioned he moved to train with the best as well.