A few years ago (probably the last time LSU came to Athens), one of our friends who we tailgated with kept making references to corn dogs. We didn’t know what he was talking about – corn dogs weren’t even on our menu for the day. It turns out, it was a reference to LSU – something about them smelling like corn dogs. Well, it obviously came up again this past weekend. I was curious to know where this came from because it’s just SO random. So we Googled “LSU & corn dogs”. Several links came up, but most had the same story. Years ago some Auburn fan posted an article online about how he thought that LSU fans had an odd smell, and he determined it was corn dogs. So it stuck. And I guess it has traveled to Athens because we heard it back then, last time they played in Athens. Apparently it really gets under their skin, because they think they have all this great Cajun cuisine, and people want to associate them with corn dogs. But who doesn’t love a corn dog every now & then? I mean, hot dog on a stick – how can you beat that?? Anyway, Friday night Josh was giving Zachary a bath, when Zachary hollered out to me, “Mommy! Do you know what LSU smells like?? LSU smells like corn dogs!!” It was so funny. I knew Josh had taught him that, but it’s funny when he repeats it (it will not be funny the day he repeats a curse word or something similar…). I put that as my status on Facebook over the weekend. So last night I decided to change my status to “bring on the jean shorts!” This is probably obvious, but this was meant to be a reference to UGA’s upcoming game against Florida. As most of you know, Gators wear jean shorts. Also somewhat of a mystery as to where that came from, but I have not Googled it because I have seen actual evidence of Gator fans wearing jean shorts. Not denim shorts, but jean shorts – there is a difference (and if you want to wear shorts made out of denim and not get made fun of, you had better know the difference). I can’t access Facebook from work, but I can access my personal email, and this morning there is an email that someone had commented on my Facebook status. It’s one of my neighbors – she’s originally from Argentina, and even though I think she’s probably lived in the U.S. for a while, she & her family are relatively new to GA. She made the following comment on my status: “But it’s freezing…” I couldn’t help but laugh. But now I’m thinking that she is thinking that I actually want to put on some jean shorts! I will have to race home this afternoon to update Facebook to make sure I set the record straight.
We had a fun weekend. We made all kinds of tailgating appetizer-type food for watching the game on Saturday. It was SUCH a fun game! And then yesterday we carved one of our pumpkins. I can’t remember the last time we carved a pumpkin. Probably because it’s messy, and I don’t like messy. But I thought Zachary would like it (he’s a boy – he likes messy!), so we got out all the stuff & set it up in the garage. We drew the kind of face on it that Zachary wanted, and we set out carving. We cut the top off first (duh…) and I was in the process of scraping out the pumpkin brains, as I called them, when Zachary looked like he wanted to help. So I got a bunch of it scraped off the sides, and told Zachary to reach in and pull a handful out. You should have seen the look on his face. He hated it! I don’t blame him at all – it’s GROSS! He plopped his handful of goo into the bowl & Josh took him inside to wash his hands while I scooped out the rest of the pumpkin brains. Josh carved the face out with a smaller knife and at one point I looked over and Liam was crawling towards the larger knife…YIKES! Thankfully we got it before he got there, but this came only 3 days after I caught him with a pair of scissors…in his mouth. Thankfully he has not gotten hurt, but this kid is scaring me a little bit. We are safe people with a safe home for kids but Liam is like a magic octopus – arms everywhere and he finds stuff out of nowhere. I am hoping he is not going to be one of those emergency room kids (the kind the ER people know by name…)
September Quotes
2 months ago
2 comments:
Bring on the jean shorts! We are going to the game so maybe I can catch a picture of some jean shorts on UF fans for you.
I'm not sure I know the difference between denim shorts and jean shorts...maybe you can help me. I don't think I have either so I'm ok, but for future reference.
Btw, I don't like corndogs. I like hot dogs and I like cornbread, but not together. It does have a weird smell and maybe that is what bothers me. I don't really love hushpuppies either and I think it is the smell.
Post a Comment