Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Frosted Chinchilla Prostitute

HUH??? I know, right? You’re probably wondering what that means – me too! This is what has been spelled out on the marquee thing in front of the Kroger shopping center near our house. Usually it has something about The UPS Store, or a deal at the framing place…but yesterday & today it has Frosted Chinchilla Prostitute. I was on my way to work yesterday and as I was passing by I did a double take. I couldn’t really slow down because someone was right behind me. But this morning as I was on my way to drop the kids off, Josh called to say that he saw the sign too. What does it mean??? Anyone know???

Last night I was giving Zachary his bath. He was singing “Old MacDonald” the whole time, only he was singing it silly. Instead of saying “…And on this farm he had a cow” (or whatever animal), he would say “…And on this farm he had some nuts”…only, when I questioned what he was saying, he would say, “No, not nuts…” but it sure did sound like “nuts”. So I was laughing because this poor farmer only seemed to have nuts on his farm, and Zachary was laughing that I thought that was so funny. Oh, but the nuts also made animal sounds. So he would say that on the farm he had some nuts, but then he would say, “With a moo moo here and a moo moo there…” So not only did he only have nuts, but they talked. It was crazy. I love silly moments like that – it was so spontaneous but just turned into this big funny thing.

Since it’s kind of rainy and (I think) about to get cold again, I wanted to share a recipe. My mom got a soup cookbook for Christmas, and she copied some of the recipes for me. On Sunday we made Chicken Tortilla Soup for dinner, and it was SOOOO yummy! Here’s the recipe in case anyone is looking for a yummy soup to make. Enjoy!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves: 8-10

1 large yellow onion, peeled & chopped
4 carrots, peeled & chopped
4 stalks of celery, cleaned & sliced into bite-sized pieces
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
12 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons dark chili powder
1 medium bag tortilla chips, crushed
1 medium rotisserie chicken, all meat pulled off the bones
16 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
1 medium bunch of cilantro, rinsed, removed from stem & chopped (we left this out - not cilantro fans)

No oil for this! Put the first 6 ingredients in a heavy duty stock pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Add crushed chips & simmer another 20 minutes until chips are dissolved and blended with soup. (be sure to stir occasionally so the chips don't clump together or stick to the bottom of the pot). Add chicken & stir. Turn heat very low and add cheese a little bit at a time until blended with soup. Finish with the cilantro & additional chopped jalapeno if you want more heat.

Note on chili powder: You will find several different kinds of chili powder at your local grocer, but go for the darkest blend. The darker the powder, the more flavor it has. (we just used regular, and it tasted fine)

3 comments:

Mel said...

I am so glad that you posted this...I saw on Facebook and nearly asked you for the recipe..yummy!

Meredith said...

Soup sounds yummy! I will definitely have to try!

Shaye said...

I can't wait to try the recipe!! Thanks!