Sunday, February 13, 2011

Busiest Weekend EVER (part 1)

We are wrapping up what was quite possibly our busiest weekend ever.  It was SO busy in fact, that I'm breaking it up into a couple of posts.  Yesterday morning, Zachary had a karate belt graduation.  He graduated from his green belt to advanced green.  He was so proud (as were we), and I think he really loves that he's now getting to a point where he has a higher belt than a lot of the other kids in his classes.  It makes him feel important. (you can't really see him in this first picture - he's behind the kid on the right with the yellow belt...but if you look close enough you can see a part of his green belt peeking out)




After the graduation was over, we headed over to Liam's school for Love Around the World.  Each class was assigned a continent, and all the families were asked to bring in food & artifacts from that continent.  Liam's class had South America.  I had sent in an alpaca shawl/blanket thing that a friend of mine brought back from Peru, and I made Brigadeiro (Brazilian truffles).  Unfortunately, none of us got to try any.  The reason for that is because Liam begged to leave.  The event was scheduled from 11-1.  We got there right around 11:00, because his class was giving a brief performance at 11:30.  Except that Liam refused to participate - wouldn't even go stand with his class.  He just sat in my lap & cried (this is why I have no pictures of the event - didn't feel like I needed to take any pictures if he wasn't up there with his class).  He's the youngest one in the class, & everyone kept assuring us that it's just his age, and that by next year he'll be up there with the rest of them.  So once his class finished singing, he begged us to leave, and they weren't opening the food until noon.  So...nobody got to try the brigadeiro.  They looked yummy though, so I may have to make some more sometime just for us to try.


After we left Liam's school, Josh & his dad took Zachary to Wills Park for baseball tryout.  They called it a "clinic" rather than a "tryout", but it was a tryout - there were men observing the kids from multiple places on the field - they all had clipboards & pens...so it was a tryout.  There are 3 other 5-year-olds that Zachary knows who are playing, and at least 2 of the 6-year-olds (they are going to mix 5s & 6s on the same teams since there were only enough 5s to make 3 teams).  So we're hoping that he ends up with one of his friends on his team (in fact, I was talking to his friend Peyton's mom, and she & I decided to email them with a "carpool request" in hopes that Zachary & Peyton will end up on the same team).

More to come on the big birthday party!

No comments: