Friday, January 2, 2009

A Bull in a China Shop

This is my new way of describing Zachary, because that's exactly what he is sometimes. He runs around with reckless abandon...never mind what - or who - might be in his way. I can't even begin to count the number of times Liam has been knocked over or "tackled" in the last few days. We had a refresher course in "gentle" today. Oh, and Liam's nickname is officially Destructo. Now that I think about it, that's awfully similar to the bull in the china shop, but Liam's destructiveness is somehow different. Liam's is still innocent since he doesn't have a clue what he is doing. We haven't seen our living room floor since Christmas Eve, thanks to Destructo & the Bull. That will be our weekend project.

It's not necessarily a New Years resolution, but Josh & I have a plan for our house. We refinanced our mortgage back in May and took some cash away from the deal. We had planned to use it to replace some carpet & possibly some hardwoods in our house, but just never got around to it. Part of it was just the thought of all that would be involved with replacing flooring in a house we already live in. We've been talking hypothetically about it for 8 months now & finally committed ourselves to doing it. We have given ourselves the month of January to do research on what kind of carpet & hardwoods we want. Then we are giving ourselves the month of February to make final decisions on where to get it from and get set up to have installation begin sometime in March (don't want to start before Liam's birthday party). And the plan is to have it all done by the end of May, in time for Zachary's birthday party. This includes time for packing & unpacking or whatever is involved in all of this. We also plan to get a smaller computer desk - one that will fit inside the closet in the office, so that we can close the closet door when we're not on the computer. This will put it out of harm's way, since we plan to convert the office into a playroom. We are tired of the living room being overrun with toys. It's a little embarrassing when people come over - even when we clean up, and even when it's people we know well. They always say they understand since we have 2 little kids, but I'd like to have a space in the house for us and a space for them. So that's our plan. Feel free to check in and ask how we're doing - I figured the more people who know, the more likely we are to actually do this. By the way, if you have recommendations on good places to get carpet &/or hardwoods, let me know! They have to do installation though...we're somewhat handy on some things but have no intention of laying our own hardwood floors.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I just asked Chris and he recommends Flooring America for carpets and to talk to Todd Warlock 770-294-0662. He also said the guy that does the hardwoods for them is really good but expensive. Let me know if you want his name and number. :) GOOD LUCK! I can't wait to see final products!

Anonymous said...

Your boys are adorable, I can't imagine them being that way. :) I can already see what you mean about being overrun by toys. Good luck on the project! I'm looking forward to the picturs!