Monday, May 4, 2009

Maggiano’s, Mellow Mushroom, & an Olde Blind Dog

Our weekend improved a little bit over our epic adventure on Friday with the pediatrician and the urgent care facility. We decided that Liam probably didn’t need to be out at t-ball Saturday morning, so my mom came over to watch him for us so that Josh’s mom could go watch Zachary play. After naptime, we were all supposed to head out for a birthday party, but Liam was still sleeping, and his fever had been around 103 all day, so Josh’s mom stayed home while we took Zachary to the party. Liam ended up sleeping for over 4 hours. We finally woke him up at 4:00 when we got home from the party, just because we wanted to make sure he would still sleep that night. Josh & I had a dinner reservation at Maggiano’s, and we decided to go ahead & go, figuring that we weren’t going THAT far, and Josh’s mom could easily get in touch with us if needed. The dinner was SO good. It’s one of our favorite places and it had been a while since we’d been. After dinner, we decided to take a brief detour for a drink on the way home to the new Irish pub that opened up right near our house – the Olde Blind Dog. It is absolutely beautiful inside – it looks like they went all out as far as decorating it to make it look authentic. They even have a life-size William Wallace (aka Braveheart) in a cage at the front!!! Not that we are big bar-goers, but it is neat having a place like that so close.

Yesterday was a little more boring – we went to church, got Zachary a haircut, and then we all went to Mellow Mushroom for dinner. This Mellow Mushroom close by our house has been there for a little while (maybe opened within the last few years) but for some reason we never thought about it until recently, when we wanted pizza, but I really did not want Papa John’s (our previous pizza of choice, after our local place, Mangia, closed – there is no Pizza Hut close by, and I think Domino’s is gross). We had driven by it one day and I was like – that’s it! So Josh picked up a pizza from there on his way home from work one day and it took us back…We had forgotten just how good that pizza is. So we had decided we wanted to go there on Sunday with his mom.

We think Liam is finally over the fever. It was normal yesterday (but our thermometer was on the fritz, so we’re not sure how accurate that was). This morning it was just under 100, which isn’t bad, and it works out because he was going to stay home with Josh’s mom today anyway. Hopefully by tomorrow he will be feeling pretty close to normal.

Oh, and one last thing. They had taken school pictures the week before last, and the proofs were sent home on Friday. Of course Liam would not smile, at all. Zachary actually looks pretty good in the ones of the 2 of them together. But in the ones of him by himself, someone took it upon themselves to style his hair in a manner most unflattering. I was looking at the picture trying to figure out what in the world was wrong with his hair (because I happen to think he has very good hair – I know, I am biased), but it just looked wrong, on so many levels. When I showed it to Josh, he said, “It’s Rod Blagojevich!” Yep. That’s it. They had swept all of his hair over to the side and it looked like that creep Blagojevich. I think someone needs to tell this photography company that if they actually want people to buy their pictures, that they need to not do crazy things with a kid’s hair that probably weren’t already intended before they started taking the picture (brushing a little girl’s long hair or fixing a ponytail or something is fine – but parting a kid’s hair who didn’t have a part before, not fine).

I’ve added April pictures to our Shutterfly site – just click on either of the boys to see them!

4 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

Such good pictures on shutterfly - I love them! You guys look like you have such a great time together. I haven't ordered any of Charlotte's pictures from her daycare..in fact, she looked terrified in the last set!

Mel said...

In first grade we had our pictures after the playground time..super smart for 1st graders. It was the picture that was going to be in the yearbook too. Well, I had really long (middle of my back) and thin hair...my mom had a hard time getting those tiny barrettes to even stay in my hair. After the playground it was looking bad but I decided I could fix it myself. I will have to find a picture of it because the barettes are on top of my head (instead of out the side where they should have been) and there are all kinds of lumps and bumps and no one thought to fix it. It is funny now but I am sure my mom was less than thrilled...I think that she still bought some pictures though :-) Oh and I am wearing the same dress in my kindergarten and first grade pictures because I really liked it :-) My mom said that the phase where I wanted to dress myself was a nightmare :-)

Rebecca said...

Thanks Carrie! And you will both be happy to know that I am taking the vast majority of my pictures now on manual mode, and I try not to use my flash unless absolutely necessary - I've gotten pretty good about knowing how to adjust the settings to make a picture lighter or darker depending on the available light. I do switch it over to auto mode if someone else us going to take the picture, but when I'm taking them, it's primarily all manual! Yay me! :)

m said...

Congrats on having a bar and Mellow Mushroom nearby! I miss Mellow Mushroom so much!

Hope Liam is all better today and no more scary fever!