Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Movie Debate & “Boy” Humor

Josh & I have had this debate for many years now. Which is better – Armageddon or Deep Impact? I say Armageddon. First off, Ben Affleck. Do I need to say more? Yes? OK, how about the guy who has the kid but the kid doesn’t know he’s his dad, and he gives him a toy space shuttle before he leaves on the mission. Or Liv Tyler & the animal crackers. Or the crazy guy riding the nuke. Or – and this is what gets me every time – Bruce Willis ripping his mission patch off & giving it to Ben Affleck before the door closes to give to Billy Bob Thornton, who never got to go on a mission AND sacrificing himself to save everyone and because he knows Ben Affleck loves his daughter. I mean come on. What does Deep Impact have? I don’t know – I thought it was so stupid that I forgot the whole movie. But Josh will stick up for Deep Impact over Armageddon any day. There are very few things that we just do not & cannot agree on, and this is one of them (along with yellow cheese – I love it, he hates it. And seriously – if these are the worst things we don’t agree on, then things must be alright!). So what do you think? Armageddon or Deep Impact?

Last night after Zachary had finished with his bath, I was drying him off, when all of a sudden he ripped one. My hand was about 2 inches from the blast area, and I can’t remember the last time my arm moved so fast. We got a good giggle out of it, although he repeatedly denied being the offender. He is always one to blame it on someone else – even when clearly he is the one to blame. He has always been one to point out a stinky smell and ask who did it (even when he did it), so one day a while back he said, “Who is stinky??” and I said, “Whoever smelt it dealt it!” (Come on – you know you said that to someone when you were like 8!) The first time I said that to him he looked all confused, so I told him that it basically means if you’re the one who smelled it first, then you’re probably the stinky one (although Josh likes to follow that up with “Whoever denied it supplied it!” Yes, this is life with 3 boys in the house…). So after that whenever someone else would ask who did it, he would say, “Whoever smells stinky is stinky!” Hmmm…Close, but not quite…So I explained it to him again, whoever smelt it dealt it, and that’s how it turned into him saying last night “Whoever smelt it belt it!” Not sure where “belt” came from but he makes me laugh.

Liam has become quite the chatterbox. He is saying a lot more now than we realized (he is up to about 15 words, we think – although he doesn’t quite pronounce everything clearly…it has been like learning another language for us. We know exactly what he means, but if you’re not around him every day, you’d probably think “????”). However, sometimes he just likes to sit & babble. When he does this, he looks & sounds as if he knows exactly what he is talking about, but it’s all just gibberish. I’m sure that it means something – like he is starting to understand that talking is how we communicate or something like that. But it is just funny the way they will sit there & babble with such purpose & say nothing at all.

6 comments:

Josh said...

If need be, I’d be happy to engage in a much more in depth rebuttal on the Armageddon (AM) vs. Deep Impact (DI) debate over to my blog (shameless plug). However, I’ll start with a few key highlights to illustrate my case:

1. DI is more realistic in story and plausibility. The asteroid in DI is discovered 2 years in advance of projected impact as opposed to 18 days in AM. Sounds like the AM scientists are doubling as SEC referees with that eyesight.
2. There is as much dramatic impact in DI. Tell me you don’t get choked up hearing the news that nobody over age 50 is eligible for the lottery to go underground? Or when Tea Leoni gives up her seat on the chopper to Dr. Weaver so she and her child can be rescued? Or when the girl's parents give their newborn to the oldest daughter and tell her to escape with Frodo?
3. DI has the esteeemed Morgan Freeman leading us through the crisis as President, while AM as some no name who’s grand idea is to let NASA pick an oil rigger to save the world.
4. For all the action and explosions in AM, more of the earth is affected by the first asteroid strike in DI, including the destruction of every major city along the Atlantic coast.

I look forward to further debate if needed.

Rebecca said...

OK, so first of all, if I wanted to watch something "more realistic in story and plausibility", I'd watch a documentary, not a Hollywood feature film. I don't recall anyone who actually thought Armageddon (or DI, for that matter) were realistic or likely to happen. Yes, it's sad that the old people couldn't go underground, but seriously - if an asteroid is going to hit (& likely destroy) the earth, does anybody really think that going underground will save them??

My theory on which movie people prefer is whichever one they saw first. I happened to see Armageddon first, while you know who saw DI first. I'm curious if that is the case with others.

Meredith said...

haven't seen Deep Impact, so I'm with Rebecca... Armageddon all the way baby!

Rebecca's Mom said...

Wait just a minute here! Since when did those of us over 50 become "the old people"? You could have phrased that so much better...like "the more mature people" or "the wise elders" or anything other than "the old people".

Rebecca said...

Oops! You're still reading this? :)

Russell said...

I can't believe this is even a topic. :-)

Armageddon is obviously the better movie. Who doesn't lose it when Bruce Willis is talking to Liv Tyler? Oh...just me? What was that? Stop typing now? Ok.