Monday, March 8, 2010

Not Alone

On Saturday I took Zachary to a birthday party for a friend in his class. I got to talking to some of the other moms, and come to find out that during her conferences, Zachary’s teacher is giving that same “warning” about public school & kids’ behavior to many of the parents. At least two other moms got the same message from her, and I feel certain that there are more – those other moms just weren’t at the party so we could ask them too. But the other 2 moms I did talk to seemed relieved to know it wasn’t just them (as I was), but further annoyed all of us that they are giving that message to so many people. Our kids are not bad kids. They all have issues with their “listening ears” from time to time, but heck, even I have issues with my listening ears sometimes. They do have a kindergarten program where they go now, so I’m not sure if the motive is to get us to change our minds & do their private kindergarten or what. I think the only way we would consider that is if Fulton County came out & said they were cutting kindergarten back to half days for the upcoming school year (which, the teacher & owner have also warned us is a possibility – who knows if that is even true or not).

On the bright side, Zachary had his first t-ball practice this afternoon/evening! Josh is going to be the coach, and he was apparently given the option at the coaches meeting on what MLB team he wanted them to have (except the Braves – they don’t allow anyone to have the Braves, since they figure a lot of people would want them). He thought for a second about choosing the Phillies (his favorite team), but in the end told them he’d be happy with anyone but the Mets. We ended up with the Rockies. I’m happy with that – I’ve got no issues with them. It was a beautiful day for their first t-ball practice! I brought a blanket & some chairs for Liam & I to hang out on, as well as some toys for Liam. Liam stayed busy the whole time, and I occupied myself talking to the other moms. I spent most of my time talking to one mom, in particular, mainly because she was friendly, and she was easy to talk to. Her daughter is the one & only girl on the team, and it turns out that her husband is Mark Wohlers. As in, former Braves pitcher, Mark Wohlers. When we saw the roster & saw his name, we wondered if it was him, and further wondered if it WAS him, why is he not the coach. I’ll cut him some slack after finding out that he coaches their older son’s baseball team. I guess coaching 2 teams would be too much. I was able to casually ask his wife if he was the former pitcher (didn’t want to ask him, out of fear of looking like a nerdy stalker or something). She confirmed it was him. So now I can say I’ve met a famous baseball player! Pretty cool.

2 comments:

Drena said...

wow, Mark Wohler's daughter sounds like the perfect girl friend for Zachary!

m said...

Glad tball went well. That is such an awful to try and fill the kindergarten. Seriously, did they not think any of you would compare notes? I am sure now all of you want to encourage your friends to consider signing up there.