Sunday, March 21, 2010

Rockies vs. Phillies

Yesterday Zachary had his first t-ball game of the year. It's been kind of frustrating, because for all of the sports offered by the YMCA, they are extremely unorganized. But, at least this year there was a step up in the uniform department. Each team is named after a major league baseball team, and even has the real shirts & hats to match. Zachary's team is the Rockies. Cool shirts & color scheme. And, I'm so glad that Coach Josh requested "anyone but the Mets" at the coaches' meeting, because the Mets showed up to play after Zachary's game yesterday, and their shirts were ugly bright orange with blue writing. UGH! So here's how yesterday morning went...

My little Rockies player - #9...so handsome!


OK, I'll smile for one more picture, Mom...


Running to first base - yay, a hit!


Playing 3rd base - just like his favorite player, Chipper Jones.


Ready to bat (although I'm not sure how they could see out of those helmets - they were HUGE!)


On 3rd - ready to run home!


Getting some batting help from Coach Dad...er, I mean, Coach Josh.


Ready...SWING!


Good game everyone!


Go Rockies!


All in all, it was a great morning - the weather was perfect, and nobody cried! They also seem to have figured out since last year that t-ball is not actually a tackle sport. I'm hoping to get some video one week. It's harder because where they play this year there is a fence around the field (and there was no fence last year). I could probably go inside the fence...it's not like anyone is going to hit it hard enough to get me...
After the game we came home & called CHOA about getting Zachary's staples out. They told us to come in at 12:30. We arrived & did not have to wait very long at all. He was not a fan of the process (I think the nurse may have accidentally grabbed some of his hair in the process). But afterwards he got another popsicle, and then we made a trip to Toys R Us to buy something with the "get well" gift card that MomMom & PopPop sent (Josh's parents).
We came home & enjoyed the amazing weather (why can't it stay like that all the time???), and around 4:30 a car pulled up & stopped in front of our house - it was PopPop! Josh & I knew he was coming, but we did not tell the boys. They were SO excited! It was just a real wuick visit - he's heading out tomorrow morning. But they had fun with him while he was here.
But, poor Herschel. I took him up to the vet this afternoon because he's been pawing at his ears lately & whining, so we thought he might have an ear infection. Turns out he was also due on his shots & physical as well, so it was good timing. They checked his right ear - all clear. Then they checked his left ear & pulled out some of the nastiest goo I have ever seen. Not only was it infected, but they said it was a "severe" infection - severe enough that the vet wanted to make sure there wasn't a tumor or anything behind it. And severe enough that they recommended having it cultured, which they have never done before (and he's had a lot of ear infections). $416 later, I left the vet...I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather spend $416 on than doggie ear medicine and a bacteria culture...

No comments: