Saturday, September 19, 2009

Apple Pickin' Saturday

We've been planning for a while now to go to Hillcrest Orchards in Ellijay to pick apples today. The rainy week almost put a damper on our plans, but we consulted weather.com this morning, and despite the fact that it was pouring at our house, there was only a 10-20% chance of rain in Ellijay. We decided to chance it, and amazingly, the farther north we got, the less rainy it was. By the time we got up there, it wasn't raining at all! It was cloudy, but no rain. This was our first time picking apples - we decided to go after hearing Merri talk about going last year. We had a lot of fun! I wasn't sure how easy or difficult it would be for the kids to pick, but the trees were really low to the ground, and because of all the rain, the apples came off pretty easily.

Here is Zachary showing off an apple he just picked:




Here is Liam picking one himself:




Both boys contemplating what to do next:




After picking apples, we took our bag back to the car, and went back in to check out the other activities they had. They had "wagon rides" (basically a cart pulled by a tractor - like a hayride without the hay) through the orchard, so we hopped on for that. Only, our ride was cut short because there's a bridge that the wagon is supposed to drive over, but all the rain had washed it out. They were in the process of fixing it, but we ended up getting off the wagon because it was going to be a little while before it was ready to be driven on. So we got off & checked out a little playground they had, as well as a really big, long slide. Then we went down to the petting farm. It was really cute - all the animals walking around were babies, so they were really small. Although I was not much of a fan of the baby goats nipping at my pants! Liam wasn't much of a fan of any of the animals - I guess when you're his size, they all looked big. Zachary didn't really want to touch anything either, but I did get this picture of Liam holding a baby chick (yes, a REAL one!). I thought it was cute because his classroom at school is called the "Chattering Chicks".



After the petting farm we headed back through the orchard & began our drive home. Both boys fell asleep in the car. It was a fun morning, and I think it will be a new fall tradition for us each year. As much as I love spring & summer because of the weather (I'm more of a warm weather person), I do love the fall because of all of the fun things that there are to do in the fall - pick apples, visit the pumpkin farm, football, North Georgia State Fair (redneck-y, I know, but there's GREAT people-watching!).

When we got home, our kitchen was a busy place. I began making vegetable purees. Liam has gotten so finicky when vegetables, and we're getting more frustrated by the day. To make it worse, most of the time, he'll eat them at lunch at school, but then he won't eat them for dinner. Or some nights he won't eat anything for dinner. So I finally pulled out my Jessica Seinfeld cookbook and began making vegetable purees. Today I made broccoli, cauliflower, and buttercup squash (I had intended to make butternut squash, but Josh came home from the store with buttercup squash - I'm thinking they are close enough). Then I made an apple pie using some of the apples we picked this morning - it was YUMMY! And for dinner, homemade chicken noodle soup, which was also yummy. Needless to say, I did not have a nap, and the late Georgia game isn't helping. I'll post an update the first time I use one of the purees - they are all in the freezer right now. I also bought carrots, yellow squash, and zucchini - hopefully I can get to those soon.

Finally, here is a picture of Zachary in his karate outfit - he's demonstrating a pose. He is so excited about karate (the program comes to his school once a week), and he insisted on bringing his uniform home, and has already put it on twice for us. We'll actually get to see a class this week. He's going to have to miss class on Wednesday during school, so they said we could come to a makeup class on Thursday at their facility after work. I can't wait to see what that looks like!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love that cookbook -- one of our favorites is the peanut butter banana muffins :) I've made the banana bread with the cauliflower puree and didn't care for it, but my kids liked it, so that's all that matters :)

Drena said...

That orchard sounds like fun. We may check it out even though I know Oliver is too little to do much picking. Sounds like a good time for the grown ups!