Friday, September 25, 2009

Miscellaneous Tidbits

It’s been a slow week – slow, but slightly weird. I had already planned on taking this past Tuesday off work to attend an event at the boys’ school. Little did I know that school would be cancelled and I’d end up getting to hang out with them for most of the day. Then Zachary had to miss his karate class at school on Wednesday because I had made an appointment for them to have their flu shots long before I knew we would sign him up for karate or that karate would take place at 3:00 on Wednesdays (the exact time of the flu shot appointment). But they are very nice, and they let you come to their karate school location for a makeup class if you have to miss it (it’s very close to our house too, which is nice). So we went yesterday after school/work for Zachary’s makeup class. It was a rare treat because we won’t normally get to see the class due to it taking place during the school day. I have to say that little kids doing karate is actually pretty cute. There’s lots of yelling and such in karate, but they have these squeaky little voices and it just sounds super cute. Plus most kids that age are not overly coordinated yet, and I had to giggle to myself when the teacher gets out this big pad and has the kids run at him & do a “flying kick” – most of them hardly got off the ground, and even the ones who did, I can assure you there was no “flying” going on. At the end of the class the teacher took about 5 minutes to teach about “stranger danger” and teaches them how to shout “Stranger! Stranger!” and get out of a situation where someone has grabbed their arm – pretty useful stuff. I hope Zachary never needs to put that to use, but if he does, I just hope he remembers it. I did get some pictures & video, but as usual, they have not been uploaded yet.

And I was also going to post an update on the veggie purees, but it looks like Josh actually beat me to it. If you want to read about it, check out his latest blog entry (and in case you don’t want to read it, the short version is that they are working!) We haven’t actually tried out any of the actual recipes from the book – we’ve just been incorporating the purees into our own foods that we normally make, but there is at least one recipe in the book that we want to try for next week.

Tomorrow we’ll be heading to Athens for the game, but not before we make a stop at the North Georgia State Fair in the morning! Yee haw! I love redneck watching there. It is actually a fun time to go – on Saturday mornings they have free admission & free rides from 10-11. You can actually do a decent amount in an hour (mostly kiddie rides for Zachary – not sure if Liam is big enough to go on any yet or not), and that’s really about all we need before hunger starts setting in and meltdowns can be seen on the horizon.

One last funny bit to leave you with. Last night we were coming up for bathtime, and Liam went straight into our room. He is so smart – he has figured out how to turn on my clock radio. He turned it on, and Lady GaGa “Just Dance” was on the radio. As if on cue, Liam began to boogie. I wish I’d had my camera to get video of that. I love it when toddlers dance.

No comments: